Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my New "New York Meyer" Alto and to be honestly the profile is really strange. It's super Duck-Bill-ish. Not at all like a traditional Meyer. Very disappointing. It plays OK but it's so thin at the tip is just feels bizarre. Who knows maybe it will be worth Millions in a couple years but after 5 minutes of playing - back in the box it goes.

This is what I received - It may be defective. Not Sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
I just received my New "New York Meyer" Alto and to be honestly the profile is really strange. It's super Duck-Bill-ish. Not at all like a traditional Meyer. Very disappointing. It plays OK but it's so thin at the tip is just fells bizarre. Who knows maybe it will be worth Millions in a couple years but after 5 minutes of playing - back in the box it goes.

I'll see if I can take photos at home. My new iPhone is no longer talking with my computer.
How does it sound?

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,058 Posts
I do like duckbill beaks, but if I were buying a copy from the company that owns Meyer, I would expect it to be like the original vintage Meyer pieces, without changes....or at least be warned ahead of time and advertise it that way.

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,621 Posts
I'm gonna post some pictures of my NY Meyer and the New NY Meyer. I personally don't find it that different than the NY although they do have slight differences.

I would say that if anything the beak is slightly higher and not more of a duckbill. My current production has much more of a duck bill than either of these.

At he end of the day it's what is comfortable for everyone and to each his own.

I just wanted to post pics so that guys could see them side by side.

1) top view (NY on left, New NY on right)

2) both together, NY closest to camera

3) Profile of New NY

4) Profile of NY

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then mine is clearly defective.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,106 Posts
I'm gonna post some pictures of my NY Meyer and the New NY Meyer. I personally don't find it that different than the NY although they do have slight differences.

I would say that if anything the beak is slightly higher and not more of a duckbill. My current production has much more of a duck bill than either of these.

At he end of the day it's what is comfortable for everyone and to each his own.

I just wanted to post pics so that guys could see them side by side.

1) top view (NY on left, New NY on right)

2) both together, NY closest to camera

3) Profile of New NY

4) Profile of NY

How does it play compared to your vintage NY?

·
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered two. Just opened the other one and it has the same Duckbill shape.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Tony, obviously your mouthpiece(s) and what Simon shows are two drastically different beaks. Something's rotten in Denmark.

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,621 Posts
How does it play compared to your vintage NY?
The NY is a little brighter, but the New NY has the same pop and punch. Overall they are very similar.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,310 Posts
I just received my New "New York Meyer" Alto and to be honestly the profile is really strange. It's super Duck-Bill-ish. Not at all like a traditional Meyer. Very disappointing. It plays OK but it's so thin at the tip is just feels bizarre. Who knows maybe it will be worth Millions in a couple years but after 5 minutes of playing - back in the box it goes.

This is what I received - It may be defective. Not Sure.
Clearly your piece is not right. i hope you have no trouble exchanging it.

·
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Has JJ Babbitt set themselves up for failure? I was thinking of getting one; maybe not.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Well, the good news is we have great representation through Tenor Madness here.
I hope Simon can help getting to the bottom of this quickly!

1 - 20 of 110 Posts