Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
That was a great read, thanks!

Hamid Drake is one of my favorite living drummers, so his association would have been endorsement enough for me.

Here is that CD on Greenleaf of the Indigo Trio.

I imagine the personal and financial stress as well as the academic stops and starts she weathered are familiar to many musicians whose paths to "success" have been meandering. The media often represents great players as having just hatched out of eggs or fallen from the sky, with little mention of the discipline and courage required to pursue their musical interests and abilities, regardless of initial or repeated obstacles and set-backs. At a time when most articles come across as little more than lazy regurgitations of press releases, I applaud Peter Margasak for delving deeper into the genesis of an exciting contemporary performer.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I had the good fortune to study with Nicole the first year of the Vancouver Creative Music Institute's workshop. A very sweet, supportive woman and a wonderful composer. She's been leading the High School Summer Jazz Intensive Workshops for the Jazz Festival the last few years, too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
littlemanbighorn said:
I had the good fortune to study with Nicole the first year of the Vancouver Creative Music Institute's workshop. A very sweet, supportive woman and a wonderful composer. She's been leading the High School Summer Jazz Intensive Workshops for the Jazz Festival the last few years, too.
Did you study flute with her (just curious because I don't see one listed in your signature), or something else (improvisation, composition, orchestration)?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts