Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got some rico plasticovers 1 1.5 reeds for alto sax and I am very annoyed when moisture converges on the underside of the reed and produces a warbling sound. is there any way to stop this or prevent it
many thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,364 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,204 Posts
If you're a 'wet' player you may have to lean forward slightly to help the condensation flow down and out of the mouthpiece.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,484 Posts
1.5 is way too soft not really sure why the sell that strength. B

·
Registered
255 Posts
When I was playing Rico Covers I noticed that they feel softer than other reeds, even when they were equal in the Reed Strength Comparison Chart.

·
Registered
599 Posts
When I was playing Rico Covers I noticed that they feel softer than other reeds, even when they were equal in the Reed Strength Comparison Chart.
That's true, i play La Voz medium, and bought a box of Plasticover number 3 for trial a few days ago, the Plasticover makes me feel it is maybe a number softer than the medium, like medium soft. So, to equal the strength, i think i need a 3.5.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I'm playing #3 Plasticovers on soprano and alto right now. I don't have this problem at all. To be exact, I find that other than adding a little brightness to the tone, the Plasticovers are fairly worry free.

·
Registered
77 Posts
That's true, i play La Voz medium, and bought a box of Plasticover number 3 for trial a few days ago, the Plasticover makes me feel it is maybe a number softer than the medium, like medium soft. So, to equal the strength, i think i need a 3.5.
Agreement here. My Plasticovers have always needed to be .5 more than my Rico Royals or LaVoz to be equal in strength and feel.

GPD

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,019 Posts
I play Plasticovers on tenor and bari. Never had this problem.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
I have this same problem, but even more so with Fibracel reeds. With a regular reed, moisture is absorbed into the reed fibers. With a coated reed like Plasticover, the coating prevents much of the absorption. With a Fibracel reed, there seems to be almost no absorbtion of moisture. I find the solution is to suck in air quickly during rests in the music.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Another angle to this is that perhaps the table on your mpc isn't quite flat, or is flawed in some way and is allowing moisture to accumulate between the reed and the mpc, because I don't have a problem at all with Plasticovers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts