Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Keilwerth SX90 Tenor and i usually use a link STM 7*, but I also have a Ponzol M2 S 110. I use a 2 1/2 Vandorenn ZZ on my link and I get good/consistent intonaton(i can get the notes thorughout the range "in-tune") throughout all registers of the horn, even into altissimo. The problem is with my Ponzol i cannot get a high D in to tune, and even if i can, the high Eb and above are extremely flat. I use a 2 1/2 ZZ on the ponzol as well, and I have tried vandoren ZZ 3.5s, rico Jazz selects 3M and even rico royal 2.5s. Does anyone have a similar problem, or suggestions on how to fix mine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Why not just use the Link? Not all mouthpieces work with all horns...

·
Registered
437 Posts
No,the ponzol can play perfectly in tune and the intonation is easier than the otto link.Maybe you,ve got some problems because you're very used to your link and not to the ponzol.In my opinion (but it's a personal thing,anyway) your reeds are too soft.This is more evident with the ponzol because it's more free blowing than the link.Try a 3 or 3,5 and you'll see the difference.Probably you'll sound fuller too on both.Do you have a good embouchure or not?If the high notes are flat push the piece more into the cork and relax your embouchure.Bye

·
Registered
770 Posts
heath said:
Otto Link=Round chamber

Ponzol= Square chamber.

Square chamber?
Or just straight sidewalls?
And bullet chamber?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,305 Posts
My STMs respond very differently than my Ponzol. A reed that works on my link do not work on my Ponzol and vice versa. I think that you're noticing a resistance difference and your embouchure is compensating causing intonation problems. Sometimes a player may tighten their embouchure, not knowlingly to lessen resistance by closing off the reed...and that throws off the pitch.

But it sounds like you are comfortable on the link...why change

·
Registered
622 Posts
sell them both and get a JJ DV NY, Nah just kidding.

Reeds might not work the same on different mouthpieces, keep this in mind.

stefane

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I have Link, Berg and Ponzol mpcs. My Ponzol is an M1, not an M2 so FWIW...
I can play back and forth between these mpcs with the same reed but generally speaking, if I'm just testing all three out to see which I like the best (a routine activity I'm afraid) I wait and play the Ponzol last because, for some reason, the Ponzol usually kills the reed for the other two mpcs.

That is, I can change the same reed back and forth between the Berg and Link but not usually from the Ponzol back to the other two. Crazy I know.

(BTW, the chamber of my Ponzol is round.)

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
Gary - do the refaced Ponzols kill reeds too? Serious question...

·
27,650 Posts
EZ said:
Gary - do the refaced Ponzols kill reeds too? Serious question...
Yes. Not 100% of the time, but about 80% perhaps. ;)

·
Banned
592 Posts
gary - it's probably just the difference in facing curve lengths between the two mpcs. The Ponzol might have a shorter facing curve, which would cause the reed to bend in a different place than your Link. Combine that with the Ponzol's higher baffle, which would cause the reed to vibrate faster as well, and the result is that your reed breaks down quicker, and is rendered pretty much useless on your Link.

I would figure out which make/cut of reeds work best on each mpc, then test with different reeds. Or if you prefer to play the same make/cut on all your mpcs, then simply keep the ones you play on the Ponzol separated from the ones you play on the other mpcs. Use separate reed guards. That's what I do.

·
Banned
592 Posts
NIMOGT - my suggestion would be to go up to a #3 reed, in all makes/cuts. That might help you to better control the intonation in upper register, and still not be too stiff for you.

That, or try #2.5 blue box Vandorens.

·
27,650 Posts
mlscnr said:
gary - it's probably just the difference in facing curve lengths between the two mpcs. The Ponzol might have a shorter facing curve, which would cause the reed to bend in a different place than your Link. Combine that with the Ponzol's higher baffle, which would cause the reed to vibrate faster as well, and the result is that your reed breaks down quicker, and is rendered pretty much useless on your Link.
Interesting.

I would figure out which make/cut of reeds work best on each mpc, then test with different reeds. Or if you prefer to play the same make/cut on all your mpcs, then simply keep the ones you play on the Ponzol separated from the ones you play on the other mpcs. Use separate reed guards. That's what I do.
I do that too, if I'm readying reeds for a gig or rehearsal.

·
Banned
592 Posts
gary said:
mlscnr said:
Interesting.
Of course, it could be some other combination of physical variations between the facings of the two mouthpieces, but that's the one that seems most likely to me.

Seems like I used to have the same problem when I was play-testing mouthpieces using the same reeds I used my Florida Link STM. It's been a few years since I was doing that, though.

Anyway, it's easy enough to remedy: just don't do that! :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually started using vanoren zz 3s and the results have been amazing! The intonation on my linb has improved tremendously--it was better than the ponzol to begin with, but some notes casued a lto of trouble--but now they don't! I am really liking the link, even though it could always be better. The ponzol works better than before, but I will just pull it out if I need anything that will tear down the walls :)

·
27,650 Posts
mlscnr said:
Anyway, it's easy enough to remedy: just don't do that!
Doctor, it hurts when I hold my arm like this. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts