Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all, i really need some help with my conn. It's a 250xxx transitional baritone that i bought last year. When i received it, the pads were all diferent and without resonators, some with a small rivet, some totally in leather. the horn was not at its best but it played good, top to bottom with that powerfull but smooth round conn sound.( i also play a 26m alto). Later i've send it to the technician to do an overhaul and put new pads. He used "pisano" pads with metal resonators. Well, after that i could never achive that conn sound again and the horn leaks a lot and don't play good. It's the second time i send it to the repairman and it allways gets the same.
Uneven sound, hard to blow, low notes allmost imposible to get any sound.
Are this pads not a good choice at all for the transitional? Is my repairman missing something?
He also made a neck extension this last time and now i can play in tune (ss berg ;hr berg; hr florida link all work good now).

If anyone had the same problem or know something about this, please give some help.

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,937 Posts
Nothing innately wrong with the choice of pads - sounds like his technique sucks.

Get the leaks out and then judge the sound.

"Is my repairman missing something?"

Oh, yeah...

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,205 Posts
Find a new tech that KNOWS what a Conn bari is supposed to sound like.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the input.
Now i know the pads are a good choice for the horn...but, what might be the problem?...The distance between the pads and the tone holes? How deep the pads go into the cups? Or just a question of key balance?

thanks again

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks to all for the input.
Now i know the pads are a good choice for the horn...but, what might be the problem?...The distance between the pads and the tone holes? How deep the pads go into the cups? Or just a question of key balance?

thanks again
If the horn isn't even sealed properly. How can you know that the pads are Wrong? Any of your follow up q's are without merit unless the mechanic is capable of setting the horn up properly. At that point those queries become mute.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts