Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an Electro Harmonix Mini Q Tron Wah pedal. It seems to work great when I have the wah effect engaged, but when it is off, the level of the clean sax sound drops very far down. Basically if I sustain a note and turn the pedal on and off repeatedly it goes pp FF pp FF pp FF even when I'm not changing my own dynamic.

Any ideas?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,048 Posts
a) Your pedal doesn't have true bypass and thus still loads the signal when off.

b) Your signal is very low to start with.

c) Either add true bypass to your pedal by replacing the switch, use a buffer, or run your signal into a mixer and then through the pedal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is true bypass? I am using a piece that sweetwater said I need. It connects the mic cable to the wah pedal input. Its about 3 inches long and says "Hosa Transformer (Lo-Z - Hi-Z)" Is this what your talking about?

Obviously I don't know much about this set up, but I'm learning. Thanks for the help!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,048 Posts
"True bypass" is part of the internal circuit design - whether the circuit is completely removed from the signal path when switched "OFF".

Do you have the opportunity to run your mic into a mixer and then to a lineout/return?

Another possible is that your pedal has a low battery and will act better with a fresh one. Try the easiest solution first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts