Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Tim is a popular figure around here, but my panties are in a bunch. And I believe with good reason.

On December 11, I began a dialog with Tim about a horn in his inventory. It was on consignment, I made an offer, which was accepted. I mailed a check for the agreed upon amount, and on 12/18/06 received the following e-mail:
tim glesmann said:
Thom,

I received the check for the bari. We will try to get it out this week, but more likely after january 3rd. I'll email when we are shipping.
I thanked him and crossed my fingers as I was on vacation that week. Horn didn't arrive that week, but that was okay, as he clearly stated it was unlikely that it would.

On 1/12/07, still having heard nothing, I sent the following e-mail:
thom keith said:
Hi there,

Just wanted to check on the status of this beast.

Thanks in advance,

-Thom
To which Tim responded on 1/13/07:

tim glesmann said:
It is ready to ship. I will ship early next week. Thanks for your
patience.

Tim
It is now 1/19/07, and I have heard nothing. I feel like I'm getting hosed and I have the empty bank account to prove it. Am I being unreasonable here? I don't thing this is a very good way to do business, and in the future, I will not be doing any with Sax Alley.

·
Registered
145 Posts
looks as if you've been reasonable sofar. It may help if we as fellow SOTW-members start sending him an e-mail and ask to get the horn to your place ASAP. At least he knows you've got friends and that his potential buyers are closely monitoring this.

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,410 Posts
1 month is a a ridiculously long time to have your cash without sending the horn. Perhaps ask him to throw in a mouthpiece or something since its been so long. I'm sure interest on whatever you paid for a bari for one month would cover a mouthpiece!

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In his defense, the money I'm out is for a used, reasonably priced bari, but still enough to empty the account of a school teacher. Either way, why tell me it's ready to ship if it isn't? And if it is, just ship the damned thing already!

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
4,004 Posts
Bayviewsax,

I agree with asking for some kind of compensation. If Tim values his business reputation, he'll make good on the deal. Ask for a mouthpiece, some in-store credit, or something of that nature to make it worth your while.

I'll be sending him an email as well to help speed the horn along to your door-stop.

Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
Also in my experience Tim is painfully slow to ship, and that's a real pity because he's a truly pleasant, smooth person to deal with.

I think he's heavily understaffed.

·
Super Moderator
13,993 Posts
Tim is usually not too tardy, at least not a month's time worth. Did he have to do any adjustments to the horn that might delay it, or could it have been the terrible ice storms in Denver that delayed shipment?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,873 Posts
I am sure that Tim is good for the goods. So I wouldn't worry about not getting your horn.
Sometimes he is a little slow mailing, though.

I also know that Tim has had some serious health problems that he doesn't let the public in on. I am not sure if that has been the case recently or not. But it may have some bearing on this. I really can't say for sure.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 / RIP
1,363 Posts
Have you tried giving him a call? A month is a long time, but holidays, etc, get in the way this time of year. When this issue gets straightened out (and I'm sure it will to your satisfaction), please report back to this thread. Tim's fantastic reputation is his main marketing catch. There must be some reasonable explanation.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Here's my story with Tim. I purchased a Big B alto on consignment from him in Early July. I sent the money and recieved the horn in about two weeks. I play tested the horn for the week trial period and decided I have played better horns and it had some wacky intonation. So I tell Tim I'm sending it back. This was around the 17th of July (somewhere around there). I don't get word from Tim after two weeks so I e-mail him.

Turns out he got a notice from the post office a week and a half earlier and he had "forgotten" to pick it up. Anyway he responds and says luckily the post office hadn't shipped it back to me yet so he had the horn and he would send my money.

Keep in mind this was over $1000 he was holding of my money that I needed to purchase a horn.

After another 3 weeks I had not recieved my check. I e-mailed him and waited about a week without any response. I started calling him daily and he would not pick up the phone. I finally recieved an e-mail from him after him having both the horn and my money for a month and a half.

He said he would send out my check, and again I waited, and waited, and waited.

In the end, I recieved my money back in late september/early october (I forget when exactly).

I realized my first mistake. I didn't just take the time to go try out horns at junkdude. I drove 40 minutes to the store, play tested dozens of horns, mouthpieces, etc. and with Dave's help ended up walking out with two WONDEFUL horns. He did some work on them then for kinks and I was set to go. Not to mention I can always get in contact with Dave and he ships promptly (that same day or the day after).

I would never recommend saxalley to anyone based on my experience.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,574 Posts
Sax Alley

I can say that you are all very forgiving, which is a good thing. But...

I will say that this is unacceptable if this is indeed what happened. When I sell on EBAY, as soon as the funds are accepted I ship ASAP although once I had a very bad situation and it did take a bit longer but I did let the buyer know.

If you accept funds for an item, it should be shipped ASAP unless the buyer knows it may take a bit longer and also, before the purchase the seller needs to tell the purchaser how long it will take to ship and stick to the agreement. Granted, things do happen but shipping a sax takes very little expertise just some good commonsense.

I will like to see how this plays out. In this day and age where one can purchase an item online and have it shipped the next day. A business like this will thrive or starve based on customer service.

SOTW has a very large number of individuals who might make a purchase decision based on the treatment of the consumer and the outcome. Based on the emails and while still acknowledging that there are two sides to everything I will be watching closely and I am certain it will influence my future decisions.

With that said I hope the seller will make good.

HUTMO

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thus far, I've only spoken to Tim one time, and that was prior to purchasing the horn. E-mail communication is just much more practical for me.

That said, and understanding reputation, the man's health, and the weather, I'd like to refer you to the part where he says, "It is ready to ship. I will ship early next week. Thanks for your patience." If that was not possible, as a seller, I would contact the buyer and explain. I've been patient, my patience has worn dangerously thin.

Jacob, I too have had nothing but wonderful experience with Dave, and was on the verge of purchasing a horn from him awhile back. I wound up going with a different horn (a difference of $1400, and the horn was to be a backup), and was then eyeing the Vito bari he has. Based on what I've read on this site about Tim, I opted to give his business a shot, as his similar bari was priced several hundred dollars less. A month later, I regret that decision. Communication is a two-way street; as a customer, I put a lot of onus on the seller who has my money AND my merchandise. I assure you, he'll have none of either in the future.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
BayviewSax said:
Thus far, I've only spoken to Tim one time, and that was prior to purchasing the horn. E-mail communication is just much more practical for me.

That said, and understanding reputation, the man's health, and the weather, I'd like to refer you to the part where he says, "It is ready to ship. I will ship early next week. Thanks for your patience." If that was not possible, as a seller, I would contact the buyer and explain. I've been patient, my patience has worn dangerously thin.

Jacob, I too have had nothing but wonderful experience with Dave, and was on the verge of purchasing a horn from him awhile back. I wound up going with a different horn (a difference of $1400, and the horn was to be a backup), and was then eyeing the Vito bari he has. Based on what I've read on this site about Tim, I opted to give his business a shot, as his similar bari was priced several hundred dollars less. A month later, I regret that decision. Communication is a two-way street; as a customer, I put a lot of onus on the seller who has my money AND my merchandise. I assure you, he'll have none of either in the future.
I'm not much of a bari player but my friend who is a tenor/bari player went and played it when he bought his tenor and said it was an amazing horn.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dispatched yet another e-mail this morning, no response. The time difference and my schedule make a phone call impractical, though looks like I have to go that route ASAP if I want any satisfaction. This is turning into a giant pain in my backside. Perhaps I'll have my lawyer make the call. This is ridiculous.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Yeah, what gives with some of these sax-shops?

We all know the Johannes Gerber-type fiascos. In my case, I sent saxquest an email a week ago - which has gone unanswered. I placed an order with Matthews music a week ago and received an automated email the next day saying they would contact me regarding item availability and payment method - which they haven't done yet, despite an email to remind them. I've had emails go unanswered and items promised to be bought and you have to track down the potential buyers. I suppose this is a bit idealistic but if you are going to offer a product or service either do it within your means or don't do it. Seems to me that's business ethics 101.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Last September I paid full price to trial a Lamberson M7 mpc from SaxAlley. I decided to return it and order an Fmaj7 instead. Still haven't received it yet. I emailed Tim and he wasn't able to tell me when this would arrive. I emailed Fred Lamberson and he couldn't tell me either. So the end result is I've paid up $250 with no sign of when the order is going to be filled. I'll also have to pay extra for whatever price the mpc is by the time it's made.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
On a related issue I purchased a saxophone recently that was shipped by one of THE major dealers. This pro quality near new tenor was shipped with virtually no packing, not even close to what I routinely provide when selling $200-300 student or non working horns on ebay. I was stunned but took solace in the fact that it arrived undamaged, this was nothing but luck. How can a major dealer of new horns who has a staff working for him provide less in the way of packing then I do for far cheaper horns all by myself?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,873 Posts
Krit, sounds like you bought from the WW&BW. I have received merchandise from them packed (or better yet, unpacked) more than once.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.