Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i recently bought a second hand Selmer Reference 54 tenor, now when i got the sax it just sounded stuffy against my Barone vintage with strange things going on like for example, if i played lower E i was getting both lower and middle E sounding at the same time!!! the rest of the bottom end was fine though.

The other issue i had was playing in the upper register..again this sounded very thin compared with the Barone, but to drop from the upper register down to the lowere register i was still getting the upper and finding it very hard to get back down.

...anyway, long story short i had the sax overhauled by my tech...which involved replacing four pads, various cork, full regulation etc, got it back and what an unbelivable transformation, biggest fattest sound emaginable, a very slick action, absolutely amazing!!...that was about three weeks ago only been able to play now and again in that time due to work commitments...took it out yesterday and it just played like crap again right from the off just the same as before, what could be wrong???

B.T.W. i thought it could have been an octave key issue but everything SEEMS to be ok, the post is well clear of the key on the neck as well, could something perhaps be stuck in the body octave pip that protrudes into the body?

Thanks in advance...

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
I had the same problem initially, my Ref 54 sounded stuffy and I was really disappointed with it but as soon as the tech adjusted it, it sounded really great and still does. So you might need to go back to the tech, it's probably some simple minor screw adjustment or maybe the octave key pip in the neck is not closing properly?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts
Can I ask what case you keep it in?

I had a customer with a mk 6, he came in and I adjusted his sax, it played nicely, then a week later he was back, and then again. he had a selmer shaped case but I told him to put the sax in a different case - preferably the coffin style case it came with - and he's had no problems since.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can I ask what case you keep it in?

I had a customer with a mk 6, he came in and I adjusted his sax, it played nicely, then a week later he was back, and then again. he had a selmer shaped case but I told him to put the sax in a different case - preferably the coffin style case it came with - and he's had no problems since.
Hi Griff, it's in an old Berkerley that someone gave me....so i guess not ideal...

·
Banned
29 Posts
Over the years I've come to realize how really frigile the saxophone is and how easily it can become misadjusted with even minimal abuse. I don't work on school horns but even mature adults can easily take their instruments for granted and handle them roughly enough to keep their repairman in Starbucks and the occasional pair of expensive shoes.

That said, it amazes me that someone who will pay over six thousand dollars for their saxophone refuses to pay $150 for the case that protects it. Moral: buy all the case you can.

The Gig Bag: The Saxophone Repair Technician's best friend.

Sig

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
BAM Softpack. I have dropped my tenor(s) (a couple of times actually- no judging!) in one with no ill effects to the instrument. True Story. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
BAM Softpack. I have dropped my tenor(s) (a couple of times actually- no judging!) in one with no ill effects to the instrument. True Story. :)
I ordered a horn over eBay that had a full complement of detailed photos. When it arrived it had been shipped in a cardboard box with only the BAM case inside for protection. The low D# had been damaged and the body tube required straightening. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security by your BAM case. It's a bit like a motorcycle helmet... good for a one time whack, but it's protection comes from deformation of the liner. Just sayin'.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,038 Posts
I'm confused. Any overhaul I have ever heard of would include replacement of all pads. FWIW

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I ordered a horn over eBay that had a full complement of detailed photos. When it arrived it had been shipped in a cardboard box with only the BAM case inside for protection. The low D# had been damaged and the body tube required straightening. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security by your BAM case. It's a bit like a motorcycle helmet... good for a one time whack, but it's protection comes from deformation of the liner. Just sayin'.
That sounds like a crap packing job, not the fault of the case. That was completely idiotic for someone to mail a saxophone "packed" like that.

It is not a false sense of security as I know better than to check my Softpack on a flight or to mail it using no bubble wrap, peanuts, stryofoam, or padding of any type.

Also, I don't plan on getting 6 full grown men to stand on top of my case ala Hiscox.

Ka-ching! :)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Bam are great, as Selmer cases are. So there you go...both made by Bam. I'm talking about trakking case of course.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,532 Posts
The berkeley cases are a real problen, the BAM are the best. I would invest, have it checked again since you had it done recently your repairer wont charge you for something small......

·
Banned
29 Posts
Honest y'all, I fully understand the desire for convenience and easy utility. Helll, I play Fibracell reeds. But when it comes to cases, less than $200 will buy you a lot of quality protection.

Get some.

Your Pal, Siggy

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,049 Posts
Looks like this issue caused you to write your 666th post... so maybe it was the devil messing with your sax.......

Eventhough your sax wasn't overhauled sounds like it played fine after repairs. It's possible the repairs were unreliable, with some problems returning after a short time. Maybe it had some problems waiting to come out, which weren't attended to, so they started shortly after repairs. Maybe there were some borderline issues or some keys in unreliable condition that happened to stay in ok condition for a while, then changed (e.g. a loose pad, a pad starting to tear, etc.). It could be the case too, sure, I've seen saxophones get out of adjustment when instruments were handled too rough in their cases, even the good ones some here mentioned, though usually it required something really rough like dropping it (it's a bit of luck, I've seen instrument play no problem after falling without a case).

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Over the years I've come to realize how really frigile the saxophone is and how easily it can become misadjusted with even minimal abuse. I don't work on school horns but even mature adults can easily take their instruments for granted and handle them roughly enough to keep their repairman in Starbucks and the occasional pair of expensive shoes.

That said, it amazes me that someone who will pay over six thousand dollars for their saxophone refuses to pay $150 for the case that protects it. Moral: buy all the case you can.

The Gig Bag: The Saxophone Repair Technician's best friend.

Sig
Good advice. Rob?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts
Hi Griff, it's in an old Berkerley that someone gave me....so i guess not ideal...
Having it in a Berkley case is better than having it in a case thats makes the sax a very snug fit so much so that when the lid is closed it pushes down on the bell rim and twists the bell - as was the case in my previous post.

Seeing as your sax is in a Berkely case make sure that you havent got an end cap or foreign object wedged inside the bore of your sax. Mouthpiece caps usually end up around the area of the top stack so you should be able to see it if you look down through the crook receiver - use a torch if you can as the mouthpiece caps with the large hole in the end can easily be missed.

I would get your sax to your tech and get him to stick a leak light down it to see if you have any leaks also -

1 - 20 of 74 Posts