Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a recent problem with my yamaha alto horn

When I play from C to C2 (altissimo C or second octave), the sax sounds fine. Now the problem starts to appear when I play from C2 to C1. It was fine from C2 - B1 - A1 - G1 then the sounds starts to sound muffled on F1, MORE muffled on E1 and FINALLY it doesnt make sound D1 and instead it makes higher sound similar to A1, C1 is also effected.

I noticed theres something wrong with the octave key, somehow it seems stiffed or it doesnt look it works like normal.

I just picked up this horn again as this is my back up horn and usually I practice with my other horn but today i use this horn and notice this problem.

It started 2 days ago i think, I played it and it did sound a bit muffled on the upper register (1st octave) and it blows harder (makes pffffttt sound together with the intonation)

The funny thing is if I play from C1 (first octave) to C2, the D1 sounds ok and I notice the the little hole on the neck is closed completely, just when i hit the G1, the little hole starts to open but it slightly went down (the brace).

Additional note:

I just noticed again, when I play from C2 (2nd octave) to B1 - A1 the little hole on the neck is opened but when I hit G1, the pad on the neck starts to close but it doesnt close straight away but instead it slowly go down and as a result making the pfffft sound and it gradually worsen and worsen until D1 starts to sound like a A1 (first octave A).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Check your needle springs (or whatever the tension making needle looking things are called), make sure one hasn't sprung loose. Look up and down the mechanic triggered when you go from C -> G with the register key held to check each one. That's what sounds like might be the problem as the arm closes, but slowly. I'm no certified tech, though... just something you might want to check.

edit: come to think of it, I think there's only 1 needle spring you'll need to check, just below where your left hand rests.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
This is a mechanically complicated mechanism, so it is difficult to diagnose without seeing it.

Sometimes the problem is just a little too much friction between the neck key and the rod that operates it. The tiniest smear of cork grease can help.

Otherwise, post 5 in the following thread may help:

http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=312715

1 - 4 of 4 Posts