Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
I'm having sort of a problem in the upper register with my mouthpieces. On my Runyon XL 8 the high notes pop out easily, but on my Meyer Rubber 6 it's much much more of a stuggle to get the E's and F's to come out.
I like the sound of the meyer more and like playing it rather than the runyon, but it's not very cool when I can't get the high notes out.
Does this mean there's something wrong with my meyer? Or do I just need to practice more in the upper register on my meyer? I'm not exactly a beginner, been playing for about 7 years, so it's kind of frustrating me.
Is the problem with me or my meyer?
Any help would be appreciated.
-Benji

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
You're talking apples and oranges on mouthpieces here. For one thing, the Runyon is a much brighter piece, especially with the spoiler, and it has a more open facing than the Meyer. You're probably pinching off the high notes on the Meyer. Try a slightly harder reed; the Meyer should feel stuffy at first, but you'll get used to it.

EDIT: I fixed my typing error. See below. (I must have not woken up yet when I wrote this...)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By closer facing, do you mean a short facing?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
In this case I think Jmax means the distance from the tip to the reed. Your runyon is an 8, which is much wider than the 6 on the meyer. If you're talking tenor, the meyer would be .080 and the runyon .100. That's a significant difference.

Try googling mouthpiece facings and you'll find a chart of facings.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Also, try saying "heee" with your tounge when you play those high notes if you weren't already.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hang on I'm confused. I always though facing length was the distance from the tip of the reed back to where it connects with the table of the mouthpiece. And that short facing = easier high notes, harder low notes, quicker response.
And long facing = harder high notes, easier low notes, and more bendability.
Isn't tip opening a seperate thing?
And JMax said the Runyon had "a closer facing than the Meyer", but the Runyon's tip opening is larger than the meyer.
Am I missing something here? Oh btw I'm on an alto.
Thanks for the help guys.
-Benji

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
You are basically correct in your understanding of facing lengths. But when J.Max said a "closer facing" he did mean tip opening. He would have probably said "shorter facing" if talking about length.

You need to be more concerned about tip opening than facing length. Most mouthpieces have medium to long facing lengths that are matched to the tip opening. There are only a few really short facings to be found (Beechlers for one).

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
MojoBari said:
You are basically correct in your understanding of facing lengths. But when J.Max said a "closer facing" he did mean tip opening. He would have probably said "shorter facing" if talking about length.

You need to be more concerned about tip opening than facing length. Most mouthpieces have medium to long facing lengths that are matched to the tip opening. There are only a few really short facings to be found (Beechlers for one).

I did mean tip opening (LARGER facing) and I meant to say that the Runyon has a larger facing (tip opening) than the Meyer...I think that I said the opposite of what I meant to say.

Longer vs Shorter facings have nothing to do with your problem. Closer vs. Larger facings do.

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,794 Posts
Martinman said:
Also, try saying "heee" with your tounge when you play those high notes if you weren't already.
I think I've just found one of the sources of your women problem.:twisted:

·
4,147 Posts
martysax said:
I think I've just found one of the sources of your women problem.:twisted:

Should I try saying "sheeeee"?

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,794 Posts
Martinman said:
Should I try saying "sheeeee"?

No, "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" ;)

Just think of the big drop on a roller coaster ride. (Or something just as wild!:twisted: )

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JMax, thanks for clarifying. So I guess the answer to my question is just maybe a harder reed and more longtones in the upper register with my meyer.
Thanks
-Benji

·
4,147 Posts
martysax said:
No, "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" ;)

Just think of the big drop on a roller coaster ride. (Or something just as wild!:twisted: )

What kind of roller coster?:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I like the way you think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts