Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Morgan 3C mouthpiece. I found the mpc to be very resistant compared to my regular S-80 C*. I tried multiple reeds and the softer reeds gave a better response but lacked the darkness of tone I'm searching for. The harder reeds gave a darker sound but was very resistant and also was stuffy on most of the notes. I was using Vandoren 3 and 3.5's and a FL silver lig and string.

Does this have to do with the overall combination of the mouthpiece/reed/lig or is it the person using the mouthpiece?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I use to use Vandorens on my C* all the time, worked great...but I recently got a 3C like a few months ago and Vandorens weren't working for me at all...but I found great success with Alexander Classiques (in the same strength I was using with Vandorens). You can give those a try :)

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
The 3C will be a more resistant piece due to the larger chamber size and smaller baffle. I'd suggest Hemke reeds for it, or (as already mentioned) Alexander Classiques. You might also try a Vandoren Klassik string ligature or a Consoli, which should make it feel a bit more free blowing. (I know that you've tried string already, but the Klassik tends to seal the reed better than plain string.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
or try sanding the tip of the reed very slightly, so you will keep the thickness and heart of the reed, keeping the tone, but make it easier to blow, adjust it to your taste.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts