Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello

I have a Martin stencil C melody sax with soldered toneholes. All the pads are changed to new and I can't see any light coming out. When I play it in the bottom register it is very difficult to play soft tones, softer then between f - ff, and the tone is very low, less then -50% for Bb ad B, so what is supposed to be a Bb is actually a +50% something A. As you understand, I have to blow very hard to get a tone and then it is a strong f.

How can I find out if any of the tone holes are loose. I mean there is nothing obvious that any of them is.
Or, how could I find if there is a leak in the soldering of the bell to the bow or the bow to the rest of the body?
Do you see any other possible problem?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The link above is in my bookmarks list. I've tried to press both harder and lighter with my fingers and it doesn t make any big difference. Thanks for your reply anyhow.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,553 Posts
Do you have the same problem on other saxophones?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have the same problem on other saxophones?
Not exactly, but I find difficulties in playing mf or softer on my tenor in the low register. Same problem you think?
I've test played maybe 30 tenors that I've adjusted without experiencing that particular problem.

·
Registered
768 Posts
well I`ve been looking at my own Martin C-mel and maybe its the little key on the bottom of the body which closes when you press the low E or F# key. It could be that that one doesn`t closes completely (some people put a cork in that hole) Or its the cork under the mechanism that comes from the little key if it`s not there or to small you`ll have trouble with blowing the lower register..

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I've tried it both ways, i.e. keeping it the way it was supposed to be when the sax was made and setting it closed by reversing the spring force.

Adding: I've tried to play with as well a C melody mouthpiece, a Berg Larsen metal (SMS approx. 100 2) and a couple of small sized tenor mpcs.

It is flat and dull in the low register with all mpcs.

regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts