Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may know that I've used and promoted the use of Fibracell reeds as one of the best synthetics. Nearly all the 500 + recordings I've done were using their reeds. It's with some sadness I'm now suggesting that you might be better off using something else.

I recently purchased two of their 2 1/2 tenor reeds. Both are stuffy and basically unplayable. I contacted the company and received a rather strange reply that effectively said we don't replace or guarantee what we sell. It went on the tell me how to suck eggs...you don't know how to put the reed on the mouthpiece properly, you need to buy other grades above or below what you think you need, etc.

When writing back (still politely) my experience was mentioned and that I've been playing their reeds for over 10 years. I said I'm not satisfied with their response and will share my dissatisfaction on this and other sax web sites, but would wait to hear back from them first (giving them another chance to so the right thing).

The next E-mail I received was basically threatening me with a law suit and continuing to maintain the insult that I just don't know how to play or use their reeds. I'm happy to make these E-mails in their detail available to anyone interested.

They are welcome to sue me or do whatever they wish. I have no respect for any company that doesn't stand behind their product (they didn't want to even examine the reeds in question).

You may wish to consider other reeds as it appears there may be some problem with their production and that they have made it extremely clear that they do NOT stand behind what they sell. This stands in extreme contrast to other makers who go out of their way to stand behind what they sell. I'm voting with my wallet and will now support those makers.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I really enjoy Fibracells, especially to give a little more buzz to darker mouthpieces, but I've had many more inconsistent Fibracells than I have Legeres. I've mostly had bad experiences with harder models, say 4-5.5. I wish I could get that added buzz on my Legeres, but at least Legere stands behind their product -- I've used their return/exchange policy many times over the years.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, Standing behind one's product is what it's all about. If Fibracell can't be bothered, then I'm no longer a buyer.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Oh my... I certainly hope this is a passing phase. It takes a very long time to develop one's sound & at this point I really don't want to have to begin a major rebuild project. These reeds have been very good to me.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the company MIRI?
I believe so. The owner is a Ms Shaffer. I've sent a letter directly to her bypassing the (first contacted) "Vice President for Artist Relations". Hopefully others will not have the same problem, but it may only be a matter of time. I have no idea how big a faulty batch went through. The fact that they didn't want to examine the reeds and maintain that I just don't know how to use them is absolutely ridiculous and infuriating (after more than 10 years playing their reeds?). Since I'm in New Zealand and Australia it's another $20 + to ship them to me. That makes them very expensive duds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,828 Posts
Yes, Standing behind one's product is what it's all about. If Fibracell can't be bothered, then I'm no longer a buyer.
Hi Thats a shame, i use them regularly and find them very consistent,i did have one a 4 strength, that was no good and when the i contacted the supplier
i was told they would not exchange the reed, and that i should send it back to fibracell based in the US.
Seems as your experience with them was not good!.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I can confirm these reports. The last 2 I have purchased have been terrible - unplayable and stuffy. For the past two years of playing them, I've never had a bad one before that. What have you found that is similar? I tried the Legere signatures and really disliked those. The Fibracell's were just so easy to grab, slap on and go.

I also wonder - could this be specific to the vendor (to cut costs), or bad batch sent out to the same retailer? Where did you buy yours from? I've been buying mine from Amazon.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can confirm these reports. The last 2 I have purchased have been terrible - unplayable and stuffy. For the past two years of playing them, I've never had a bad one before that. What have you found that is similar? I tried the Legere signatures and really disliked those. The Fibracell's were just so easy to grab, slap on and go.

I also wonder - could this be specific to the vendor (to cut costs), or bad batch sent out to the same retailer? Where did you buy yours from? I've been buying mine from Amazon.
Mine came from Musician's Friend. So it would seem that a bad batch went out to any number of retailers. Hard to know how extensive this is, and the company certainly wasn't listening to the slightest hint of it being their problem. As the word spreads and more players find unplayable reeds I'm guessing that their sales will plummet. Too bad they've got their heads in the sand on this one as they could admit to having a problem and offer an exchange for good ones and potentially keep a loyal customer base. Time is running out for them. Hard to believe they could be so dumb.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts