Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was playing my tenor about a week ago, but laid it down and somehow the octave mechanism on the neck got bent to the point where it stayed slightly open when the octave key was not in use. So, I thought I'll just bend it back, no big deal. After I bent it back, I was having some problems with the sound and it felt like there were some leaks, but I put a leak light through it and didn't notice anything.

The biggest problem I am hearing now is on A2, it sounds airy and goes down to the lower octave rather easily. Looking at how high the octave mechanism goes it looks like it's higher than it should be... is it possible I bent it too much or wrongly? Would the height of the octave mechanism cause a problem? My tech just had a neck surgery so is out for about 3 weeks. :( I have a gig on the 20th... need help.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
JBroad: Maybe you inadvertently altered the manner in which the upper octave arm's ring and/or the upper octave lever that actuates the ring, interacts with each other. I'd take a close look at how the whole octave system is working rather than just how the upper octave key cup is rising. DAVE

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
I would first try taking the octave key off the neck and cleaning the octave pip with a soft pipe cleaner and then running some water through it. Once it is dry and reassembled, try to adjust the neck octave key by bending the "ring" so that when you finger G and pop the thumb octave key the neck octave does not move or bounce. Also check that the high A fingered with the octave key opens about 3/16" to 1/4". Make sure that the ring is adjusted so that when no keys are pressed that there is about 1/16" gap between the octave post on the sax and the ring on the neck. Slow and careful are the guidelines to remember when bending the ring of the neck octave key to adjust the octave mechanisms.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jbtsax said:
Make sure that the ring is adjusted so that when no keys are pressed that there is about 1/16" gap between the octave post on the sax and the ring on the neck. Slow and careful are the guidelines to remember when bending the ring of the neck octave key to adjust the octave mechanisms.
I thought that was something my tech told me awhile back, and there is no gap at all. I will follow your advice and adjust accordingly.
Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts