·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,207 Posts
Keith,

I have never heard you play before, and from your avatar I was expecting a huge RnB onslaught (dont know why really) so it was a pleasant suprise to hear such sensitive playing. Nicely recorded, smokey, slightly "modern" tone. Top stuff!

It would be nice to hear the whole track, because the guitar sounds great too, and it would place your solo in context. Please post it if you get the chance.

I notice you are from Sonoma, this little town is the only place in the USA I have ever stayed in! I went there for 2 weeks about 8 years ago, and was in a little hotel (el dorado?) with a balcony overlooking the main square. Lovely place and people, very relaxed attitude. I think that comes out in this solo.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Hey, sounds nice, Keith. Simple, beautiful tone.

The sound man inside me makes me suggest that on the final mix, you might want to put a smidge of compression on that really nice sounding guitar, so that it settles more into the mix.

YMMV, however, and you can tell me to take a flying leap.:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
Very tasteful Keith... nice work!

Crazydaisydoo, I've heard a few other recordings from Keith where he lays it out like his avatar... makes ya want ta shake yer booty!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
SactoPete said:
Very tasteful Keith... nice work!

Crazydaisydoo, I've heard a few other recordings from Keith where he lays it out like his avatar... makes ya want ta shake yer booty!

Shave your...ohhh shake your...nevermind:twisted:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm in agreement on all counts - please post the whole track Keith!

·
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd be glad to do it guys but you need to realize that there is no vocal track, just background and solos. lead singer goes in tomorrow, I figured if I put up the naked track with no vocals alot of people would listen for a moment and say oh well. So , this is just my solo cut of about 8 bars.
Sonoma is beautiful. I'm luckly to have met my wife and discovered the town at the same time.
As far as RnB, check out Don't say your sorry on my gig cuts page second from the bottom. That was a one take wonder which the guitar player didn't like the background on so it won't make the Cd. K
http://kride.net/LinkClick.aspx?link=/Portals/15/Gig+clips/Dontsay.mp3&tabid=327&mid=871

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hi Keith,

Sounds very good, nice tone!

Cheers,

Wim

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
Keith Ridenhour said:
I'd be glad to do it guys but you need to realize that there is no vocal track, just background and solos. lead singer goes in tomorrow, I figured if I put up the naked track with no vocals alot of people would listen for a moment and say oh well. So , this is just my solo cut of about 8 bars
Man, fire the singer and take over :D

Sounds great :thumbrig:

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Keith, kudos on a very nice performance. Matt Stone nailed the description of your tenor sound when he called it "Smokey". (Thanks Matt for adding to my tone vocabulary.) I too would like to hear the entire cut when it is finished.

John

·
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gary, I used a Strathon adjustatone on my Mk 6 for that cut and I dropped it yesterday , chipped the tip so now I'll be playing on a worked on Ponzol M2 that I describe in the sax vrs sax section. Lesson is always have a good backup. I'm lucky to have this M2 around, a friend sent it to me to trial. Good timing. This is the first studio that really got close to my normal tone. He did add some reverb to fatten it up. Like most recordings I do , there are things I'd change. I'll put up the whole track when Jami sings it. (jami Jamison band, we're on myspace). Thanks guys, I record in a studio about once every two years so I get a little nervous. K

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hi Keith,

I play a Ponzol M2 as well, a 120.
I bought it over ten years ago and I've never used another one since.

Great mouthpiece! :)

Wim

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Very enjoyable, thanks for posting it. I'm sorry your MPC got chipped.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
I had the pleasure of seeing Keith (and Cashsax) play live at a jam session in Vegas a couple of years back. What a great experience!

Keith - the Good Morning Heartache clip is fantastic!

Frank

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Thanks for answering, Keith.
...and may your mouthpiece rest in peace. :angel4:

·
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HFH, I checked out your webpage. Your lead singer has the steely dan voice down well. I hope you are busy with work. Very , tight, classy stuff. Are you playing all the horn parts with a synth or do you have trpt and all the parts??. Sounds great, very commercial. Take the money and run. K

·
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jesus, Horns for Hire. I just figured out that you're doing it all!!! What a talent. I like your vocals and your work on synth, guitar, etc. Best of luck. I hope you "make it". You make those wanna be's on American Idol pale by comparson. Keep it up. K

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hi Keith,

Thanks a lot! :)
Well, I'd like to "make it", but I don't think my music is very commercial... but you never know...

About the horn parts: the saxes are always the real deal; on ''Hide 'n Seek" I've used a trumpet sample (Garritan Jazz & Big Band) to double the sax/organ melody and on "Sleep With Me Tonight" I've used two trombone samples (also Garritan J&BB), which I played with my Akai EWI.

Cheers,
Wim

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,313 Posts
Love that tune!

Hey Keith,sounds great man!
That is a very nice tune,,never heard it before!
You have a very nice tone,,love that colour of tone,very dark and rich!!
All the best,
Saxobari

1 - 20 of 20 Posts