Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What these baritone saxophone going for used? Yanagisawa B-901 Baritone Saxophone. Thanks...

Phil Mas'
AKA FrenchMkVI

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to ask, are the B901 good horns, or are the other newer models any better because of what differences in either quality or workmanship?

Phil

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
As far as I know Yani hasn't released a new line of baris yet though they may well be on the way. All the Yani baris use the same bore and keywork with the differences in model being post construction or ribbed construction and the material the body is made from; brass, bronze, or silver.

When it comes to prices on used baris a lot depends upon condition as well as if you want a Yani branded horn or if you'll accept a stencil like a Vito or Whitehall. A well maintained used B901 in very good mechanical and cosmetic condition will often go for $4k+. The more dents and repairs and the less lacquer the lower the price.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hello,
I do not know the street price for a brand new B901 in the US but in Germany it's around 5300€, list price is ~6k€
Last year I have seen a B900, means 15-20 years old but in good condition, which has been sold by a dealer for 4200€.
Good baris with low A are very rare on the 2nd hand market and I think you have to pay 4k€+ for a B901.

To the 2nd part of your question. The B901 is a very solid horn and my tech told me that there is no difference in the bow, keywork, etc compared to the B991 - only the "Single Post" vs. "Ribbed Body" construction.

BR
Juergen

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
If you are a member of eBay, you can search for “completed items”. The ones that sold will have price in green.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I think there is a Japanese seller on eBay offering new B901 for around $5300. Another eBay seller, Brassbarn, in Florida, has it new for around 6000. B991 for 7k, delivered ,no tax.

I had trouble finding a good used modern bari, they get snapped up quick and often are still pretty pricey.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had trouble finding a good used modern bari, they get snapped up quick and often are still pretty pricey.

That was also my problem. All branded and modern horns has two issues:
- not available as used instruments
- if available --> still very expensive and close to the price tag of a new sax

Finally I had luck and got a new B901 from a company which was closing and moving their shop

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
My friend has a Vito stencil B901 and loves it. I think he bought it before people caught onto the fact that it really is a Yanagisawa. He got it for $1200 but I think you can still probably find a deal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
My friend has a Vito stencil B901 and loves it. I think he bought it before people caught onto the fact that it really is a Yanagisawa. He got it for $1200 but I think you can still probably find a deal.
It was probably a stencil of the B900. I've never seen a Vito that is a stencil B901, but it is possible. Still a great horn.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think there is a Japanese seller on eBay offering new B901 for around $5300. Another eBay seller, Brassbarn, in Florida, has it new for around 6000. B991 for 7k, delivered ,no tax.

I bought a B901 from BrassBarn a few months ago for just over $6K. The transaction went very smoothly and love the horn! Be aware that they import the saxs from the UK and the warranty is only valid IN Japan. To get a valid warranty for use in the US, you need to buy from an authorized Yani dealer here (which means a lot more $).

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,898 Posts
A couple of years ago, Kessler had a demo B902 for just over $5K, and I bought it. I couldn’t tell that it had ever been played. It’s a great horn, and Kessler has similar deals ocassionally.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
A couple of years ago, Kessler had a demo B902 for just over $5K, and I bought it. I couldn’t tell that it had ever been played. It’s a great horn, and Kessler has similar deals ocassionally.
Yeah I've seen those a few times as well. It wouldn't surprise me if those horns had been "demoed" very little and someone in the supply chain was just looking to move some horns. Even now you can buy a B901 from Matthew's Music in the Netherlands for $5k and several years back they were down as low as $4300 or so for a while when the dollar was really strong against the Euro. They're at about a $1700 difference right now and at one time, including the taxes I would have had to pay to buy a B901 locally from Sax Alley, I calculated the difference at over $2500. Those are pretty big differences that I don't think most people are willing to pay which would make it difficult to sell these for new retail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts