Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I considering a used tenor The couesnon Monopole series 2 in gold. The price is set at 2500 USD, and after reading about it on the internet, i think is pretty overpriced.
What are your thoughts about the price 2500 USD, and do you have any comments about the saxophone in general?

Kind regards, Sigurd

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,274 Posts
Hej Sigurd,

Velkommen!

Yes, unless that instrument is in solid gold (I assume it is gold lacquer), then it is overpriced. The one caveat is that if it sports a new overhaul from one of the major sax shops in Denmark, the cost of the overhaul will run around or possibly over USD 2000, so that would leave you paying USD 500 for the saxophone itself, which would seem more reasonable.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Condition is everything.
When you say gold, do you mean gold plated or gold lacquered?
That said, $2,500 seems overpriced.
I paid $1,200 Canadians for mine, which was about $850 US.
Granted with its nickle plated keys and a non original neck brace it was not going to command top dollars, but still.
In regards to the Sax itself, I like it a lot, possibly even more than my Martin Committee III.
It has a very big sound, slightly dark, and it is tons of fun to play.
Unfortunately, right now, it is sitting at my mother's place, a few thousand kilometers away (it was originally purchased as my " vacation" Sax).

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think the price is high, unless the gold finish radically increases the price. I purchased a Cousenon Monopole II in lacquer, in good physical condition and serviced to play, within the last couple of years off of the Reverb site for about half that amount ... and I'm not sure I got a particular bargain. (Please take this observation, and the following, as based on limited experience --I'm only a few years "in" on saxophone playing and accumulating.) These saxes seem to get listed at widely varying prices.

I like the distinctive sound and feel of these saxophones, not to mention the quirky aesthetic style. I own several vintage tenors, and my Cousenon is among my favorites to play, with one significant reservation. The location of the strap ring on mine almost dictates that it be played sitting down with the sax to the side. Played standing up, I have such a fight to hold the sax in position to play that the ergos, which are not an issue sitting, become a significant challenge. (This may be influenced by the fact I'm 5'7" and have pretty small hands, and by the fact that I enjoy playing a particular sax for a couple of weeks, and then playing another. If I only played the Cousenon, I might become more accustomed to how it hangs on a strap.)

I find the sax very responsive, with a big, rich sound, esp. the low end, and the action seems very direct and solid under the fingers. I may eventually experiment with moving the strap ring, but for now, I just move a chair into my practice closet for the weeks when the Cousenon comes up in my tenor rotation. Problem solved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it's gold lacquer ;)
It's for sale in a small shop, therefore I also thought the price would be way high. Thank you for the replies guys. I will try and make him lower the price significantly... or else I will find something else!
Cheers guys

·
Registered
80 Posts
Stephen Howard (UK Sax repair technician) wrote a very complete and enthusiastic review of the Sax.
Just google it and it will be the first thing that pops up.
Ultimately you should go try the Sax in person.
$2500 maybe overpriced but the Sax itself could be a great instrument.
The other question is, what can you get for the same amount of money?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stephen Howard (UK Sax repair technician) wrote a very complete and enthusiastic review of the Sax.
Just google it and it will be the first thing that pops up.
Ultimately you should go try the Sax in person.
$2500 maybe overpriced but the Sax itself could be a great instrument.
The other question is, what can you get for the same amount of money?
In the same price range is the cheapest Yaganisawa, Yahama YTS 61 or 62.
There other options, but I can understand your point. I will check it out, and if the Couesnon's sound is just me, I will buy it.

Kind regards Sigurd

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I love Couesnon horns and have owned several sopranos, altos, and tenors. The tenors, especially, have a unique voice and the rest of the great Couesnon features. I really liked my Couesnon tenor and used it as my main axe for a few years.

My Couesnon tenor was in VERY good physical condition with fresh pads. I sold it two years ago for $1600 relatively easily and was happy with that price. $2500 seems high unless it's silver-plated, minty, and freshly overhauled. I think something closer to $1500 is about right.

Here's Guy Lafitte on his Couesnon tenor:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
You "may" want to consider that Cousenon tenors are sought after by a small percentage of the populace - myself included.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts