Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a great LAW LCD tenor saxophone mouthpiece that I may be selling soon. I got it new from Lawrie Waldron in the UK about two years ago. The problem is I don't remember how much I paid for it and I didn't keep a record of the transaction. Does anybody remember how much Lawrie charged for these then? Any info on the cost of the LAW ligature as well (which was sold separately)? Thank you!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,109 Posts
I bought several of Lawrie's excellent mouthpieces, both from him and from Peter Scaddan at Studio Saxophones. I've got a feeling that they were around £285 excluding the ligature.

I'm sure that Peter Scaddan would know the original pricing and the cost of the LAW lig. They seemed good value and it's a real shame that Lawrie stopped making and working on mouthpieces.

Rhys

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
I think new these sold for $450. The ligature was about $45 more. But prices varied with the exchange rate and discounts by Laurie. In todays market, the LCD is not as popular as the AD Buzzer. I think used prices are $250-350 for the mouthpiece. The ligature can be sold separately for $50-75 since there are not as many of them out there.

·
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you for the quick info. And I do agree with you rhys that it's a shame Lawrie stopped making these. If I do eventually sell mine, it will be a very difficult decision. And mojo, while it is true that buzzers are more popular, these LCDs are excellent, they have a big, full and rich sound (very fat in the bottom, as I like it) with a nice medium bright color and are really easy to control. If only I didn't have so many pieces...

·
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FYI 285 GBP currently = $446 US. The Buzzer is more popular but all of LAWs designs are great and made with quality. The LCD stands for Large Chamber Dark but it is not ultra dark. Not tubby at all.
Agreed! I was playing it just this afternoon and it sounded great! Like a great Link with just a little extra brightness. I love the fat, easy blowing bottom register too. It's going to be hard to let this one go ... the problem is I have so many mpcs so I really don't play it. It's been sitting in my drawer for almost two years.

·
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm, I could have sworn that you already did sell it, but I know not to trust my memory any more. Especially for common events like buying mouthpieces hardy har har.
You can trust your memory here. I did have a few (about 6 in total, I think, alto and tenor, Buzzers and LCds in different tip openings) and did sell some of them in the past, about a year ago, I think, but I religiously kept three. These are my last ones and that's why it's so hard to let them go, especially because they're not made anymore. I have them here on my desk in front of me, one day I decide they have to go, the other day I say no, I must keep them.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
They sold for 250.00 pounds here in the UK.i had 4.Forgot how much the ligs were.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts