Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, forum! I have a quick question. A few months ago I bought a Reference 54 online not knowing that Selmer doesn't have the best quality control... The sax was made two years prior, meaning it had been warehoused for quite sometime. I got it and of course fell in love with my new sound. However, the F and F# are way out if alignment with each other meaning that the F is shrill and I can't play it when Pushing Ab, Making improv a total bitch. I'm going to take it to a local music store to get those two keys aligned. How much will something as small as this cost? I don't have much to spend. I can't seem to find info on any search engine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
That sounds like damage, not quality control. Show us some pictures, When you say online, do you mean Ebay?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,687 Posts
I'm going to take it to a local music store to get those two keys aligned. How much will something as small as this cost? I don't have much to spend. I can't seem to find info on any search engine.
It doesn't matter what someone else will charge. You need an estimate from you local tech. There may also be other damage.

·
34,687 Posts
Is that the Dominic "Not-quite-a-Selmer"?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Nowhere near a Selmer more like!

Although I bet it plays straight from the box.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sounds like damage, not quality control. Show us some pictures, When you say online, do you mean Ebay?
No, I got it from InstrumentOutfitters.com. I attached pictures. The first is the Ab pad when I'm holding down F. There's a large gap. The second is the keys. I didn't see anything unusual from the pictures, but when I close the "F," the "F#" pad doesn't close all of the way. Making the "F" shrill sounding.

Gold Wood Material property Audio equipment Tints and shades

Gas Auto part Rim Metal Pipe

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the screws that hold the g# and f# keys down when you play the right hand stack keys (f and below)? This is not damage, it's an adjustment issue. Make small adjustments on one at a time until it closes the key it is supposed to. If you have a leak light, that will make it easier to see, but you should be able to fix this without much trouble.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't messed with them, no. Not sure if I can get a screw driver in there but I will try that, thanks.

·
34,687 Posts
Keegan,

It's worth getting your horn a checkup by a good tech to ensure that it is leak-free and operating well. The tech can drop a leak light down the bore and quickly assess the condition of the horn.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
On a new sax you can expect more attention needed than than that small adjustment.
Just get it adjusted and you won't believe how much better it can play.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
276 Posts
I would consult a tech. Let him make a complete check up, which is sure not much money
and then you´ll know all the issues.
Maybe only some minor adjustments are needed.
Then you´ll have fun with your horn and can forget about thinking of the problems.
I had problems with a new out of the box Selmer III sop. So a my tech spent about 1 hour
and the horn played great. Sometimes sellers don´t take care on setting up right before letting the horns go off their shop.
Pat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts