Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm considering buying a new mouthpiece seeing the AUD to US is great at the moment. One problem is that im not sure what to get because I dont know what they are like.

Im looking at getting either a otto link tone edge a meyer g or a rosseau. Im not sure what type of rosseau to get if I go that way but what I am looking for is a in the middle tone tending slightly towards the dark side. :darthvader: I play a YAS 62 II which are apparently bright sounding so i dont think im after a JDX unless someone has done that combination and arent overly bright and are still whole sounding.

I have found a mouthpiece that is ok for what im after at the moment but it seems a bit shallow sounding. I want my sound to be more present and full and I don't want to open up that mouthpiece. I want to keep it in its original way.
I would like to know how you find those mouthpieces listed above and help me make a decision.

Thanks, William

·
Registered
428 Posts
i've played a Meyer 6 and 9 Rovner deep v Berg 2 Yanagisawa HR 6 and a Dukoff D8. Now use a Meyer G 7 and am very pleased with it. It has a darker,full tone than the others enough projection and volume but the thing I like the best is how my palm notes now speak. I was going crazy with this and almost about to try another neck but the Meyer G has solved my problem. I did attack the inside a little to smooth the ridge out between the baffle and chamber and on one rail to even it out a bit. Fortunately I don't seem to have ruined it. I don't see me getting rid of it ever if only to keep it as a reference. Sorry I can't help with the others you mention. The only problem I have is that you have to watch the lower G,it has a tendency to break but it's controllable.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I personally would concentrate on the Rousseaus. As I mentioned in various threads, Dr. Rousseau designed his mouthpieces around Yamaha saxophones, so they are perhaps one of the best matches with Yamaha saxophones.

Please check out my group,"Rousseau Fanatics." It has all the information you need and even has the link to my detailed reviews of the JDX and Studio Jazz mouthpieces.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/group.php?groupid=62

1 - 8 of 8 Posts