Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a line on a Prelude by Conn-Selmer tenor and I am wondering if anyone has any info on these horns?

Thank you very much,

Paul

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Isn't it just another Taiwan or China made Selmer copy student horn? I can tell you it has nothing to do with the famous Conn saxophones made in Elkhart, Ind., and the only relationship it has with Selmer Paris is that its mechanism and styling are copied from the Selmer Paris instruments.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't it just another Taiwan or China made Selmer copy student horn? I can tell you it has nothing to do with the famous Conn saxophones made in Elkhart, Ind., and the only relationship it has with Selmer Paris is that its mechanism and styling are copied from the Selmer Paris instruments.
Yeah, that's about what I figured. However, the price is right so I may just pick it up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,799 Posts
with respect, there may be many more and better horns to buy and price, as a selection criteria, is a very unreliable way to buy a musical instrument.

It is not that you are buying a liter of milk (and even there there will be better and not so good ).

·
Registered
918 Posts
You will get advice from members here not to buy it. They are meaning to be helpful and the advice they give is in good spirit. But when they advise, ask them if they have ever owned one.

You don't have Marketplace access, so I can tell you that I happen to have two of them right now, purchased for students. One is an older model TS700 in excellent condition; other is a 6-month old TS711. They both play very well and I recommend the model as a serious beginner instrument.

Key layout is Selmer-style. They play with smooth and quiet action. Intonation is very good on both. Expect a horn you can play for a few years, then keep as a backup. I know them to be durable, and I know Selmer USA demands consistency in production.

No, I am not soliciting a sale to you. That is against SOTW rules. I'm simply advising as someone who knows firsthand about these horns.

·
38,799 Posts
indeed ( quote) “...With these faults corrected the AS700 would be good student horn - but as it stands there are cheaper horns available that either match or exceed this build quality..."

·
Registered
918 Posts
indeed ( quote) “...With these faults corrected the AS700 would be good student horn - but as it stands there are cheaper horns available that either match or exceed this build quality..."

A review of an alto is very helpful to the OP in search of a tenor, I'm sure. And we know that the reviewer would have every tenor player in the world playing a YTS-23. Good for him.

There are always options that could be better than any horn. OP has a line on a used horn, a tenor, right now. Reference a better one currently for sale, please. Let's talk under $400 used and in excellent cosmetic and playing condition with modern keywork just to limit the number of suggestions.

·
38,799 Posts
Stephen Howard is one of the most respected technicians in the UK and a very good player himself.

·
38,799 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input. Lots of food for thought.
Depending on where you are in the world you may have more (or less) access to other horns. The last few years the secondhand low end segment has taken a substantial hit and prices of the secondhand horns in that segment have plummeted. There are many, less than desirable horns, which may even being sold in very good state by someone whom bought them, had a go at playing and not succeeding, which are sold for very low prices indeed.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
A review of an alto is very helpful to the OP in search of a tenor, I'm sure. And we know that the reviewer would have every tenor player in the world playing a YTS-23. Good for him.

There are always options that could be better than any horn. OP has a line on a used horn, a tenor, right now. Reference a better one currently for sale, please. Let's talk under $400 used and in excellent cosmetic and playing condition with modern keywork just to limit the number of suggestions.

Extradarcafe,

have you read the review (it doesn't reduce to the two lines quoted by Milandro, and it's not totally negative...)? The main part of the review is about the construction of the sax and it would be surprising if the construction is totally different between the alto and the tenor.
Also, your attack of the reviews of Stephen Howard ("And we know that the reviewer would have every tenor player in the world playing a YTS-23. Good for him.") is unfair.

·
38,799 Posts
those are the conclusions, there is of course more

·
Registered
918 Posts
Extradarcafe,

have you read the review (it doesn't reduce to the two lines quoted by Milandro, and it's not totally negative...)? The main part of the review is about the construction of the sax and it would be surprising if the construction is totally different between the alto and the tenor.
Also, your attack of the reviews of Stephen Howard ("And we know that the reviewer would have every tenor player in the world playing a YTS-23. Good for him.") is unfair.

Then why was the review reduced to only its negative? And do you yourself have firsthand knowledge of anything you are writing?

Attack on Howard? Hardly. Read his reviews. He openly admits the Yamaha YTS-23 is his go-to and benchmark horn. He compares many intermediate and even near pro-level horns to it. Frankly, his fascination with that rather unremarkable tenor is pervasive.

But hey, find one for this member at an affordable price. Even junkers needing work are priced near and sometimes over $400 now. Same with its near twin, the Vito Japan. And the Preludes play so much better than those two admirably durable and tank-like horns. That was a surprise to me, actually.

Still see no suggestions by members of better alternatives currently for sale. And, as far as I've understood, there have been no other knowledgeable responses to the OP's question. I answered it based upon my ownership of two examples of the exact horn he is considering.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Howard is a world class, HIGHLY respected tech. I've never found any of his reviews and writings to be anything but first class, and spot on.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Then why was the review reduced to only its negative? And do you yourself have firsthand knowledge of anything you are writing?

Attack on Howard? Hardly. Read his reviews. He openly admits the Yamaha YTS-23 is his go-to and benchmark horn. He compares many intermediate and even near pro-level horns to it. Frankly, his fascination with that rather unremarkable tenor is pervasive.

But hey, find one for this member at an affordable price. Even junkers needing work are priced near and sometimes over $400 now. Same with its near twin, the Vito Japan. And the Preludes play so much better than those two admirably durable and tank-like horns. That was a surprise to me, actually.

Still see no suggestions by members of better alternatives currently for sale. And, as far as I've understood, there have been no other knowledgeable responses to the OP's question. I answered it based upon my ownership of two examples of the exact horn he is considering.
1. I'm not the person who reduced the review to its negative.

2. I've no first hand knowledge of the Conn-Selmer Prelude, but I don't see why I would be required to have first hand knowledge of this sax to post the link of this review. Moreover, I've no dog in this fight: I've no opinion on the Prelude.

3. The reviews of Stephen Howard have two parts: comments on the construction and comments on the playability. By his own admission, comments on the playability have to be taken with a pinch of salt (for example, he does not like Buffet-Crampon altos and I love them). But when he comments on the construction, I would listen to him. Have you seen the distorted tone hole at the end of his review? Unless you pretend that he has faked this picture (I hope not!) this point is not open to discussion.

4. I've no alternative suggestion for the OP -and I don't see why I should be required to have one to be allowed to post this review which I thought would be helpful.

5. So far, the Prelude saxophones you have seen and sold to students probably didn't exhibit the faults Stephen Howard has found (at least, not the severe fault on a tone hole found at the end of the review). I'm not attacking your integrity. But don't yourself shoot the messenger.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I apologize. But my view on answering a member's questions about a particular horn means to please respond if you yourself actually have owned one or at least have played a couple. Not just that it's made in China, or here's a review of a different horn, same brand, or I've never played one, but...

As for SH, who said anything bad about him? I said he recommends the YTS-23. And he does it ALL the time. The assumption that one example of a different model of a brand implies all examples of that brand, including different models are the same, is not an assumption that should be made. I seem to remember that SH even reviewed an alto and tenor by the same maker that fell out differently.

If the OP finds a deal on a Prelude, and believe me, they're out there, he'll more than likely have a good playing student-level horn. That's based, again, on personal experience with the brand and also the model he is considering.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
Hello,

I have a line on a Prelude by Conn-Selmer tenor and I am wondering if anyone has any info on these horns?

Thank you very much,

Paul
Paul, welcome to SotW.

Condition is everything in a used horn - at any price point. It would be best if you can have someone play the horn for you, and better still if you can get it to a tech to ensure it is in good playing condition, and/or give you an estimate of what it would take to get it in good shape. The cost of a mouthpiece and requisite maintenance could easily equal the cost of the horn. I’m not trying to put you off buying any horn, just trying to keep you from getting blindsided.

I was pleasantly surprised by a tech recently who, after calculating the cost of recommended repairs to an instrument, looked up the value of the horn to help me get a perspective on my investment. I am committed to getting that horn (an early ‘70s Selmer Series 9 clarinet with little wear and no cracks) in top condition because I consider it a good value for me - it might be a different story for someone else, who would rather buy a new intermediate level horn.

G’luck in your quest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Paul, welcome to SotW.

Condition is everything in a used horn - at any price point. It would be best if you can have someone play the horn for you, and better still if you can get it to a tech to ensure it is in good playing condition, and/or give you an estimate of what it would take to get it in good shape. The cost of a mouthpiece and requisite maintenance could easily equal the cost of the horn. I’m not trying to put you off buying any horn, just trying to keep you from getting blindsided.

I was pleasantly surprised by a tech recently who, after calculating the cost of recommended repairs to an instrument, looked up the value of the horn to help me get a perspective on my investment. I am committed to getting that horn (an early ‘70s Selmer Series 9 clarinet with little wear and no cracks) in top condition because I consider it a good value for me - it might be a different story for someone else, who would rather buy a new intermediate level horn.

G’luck in your quest.
Thanks Dr G. Some excellent advise.

Cheers,

Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I picked up the Prelude and for my needs it is great. I have to say alto is pretty cool but man there is nothing like tenor. Such a great growl to it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts