Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your preferred Baritone saophone Mouthpiece between The Theo Wanne Durga Baritone Mouthpiece or the SR Technologies Pro Series Baritone Mouthpiece? What makes you like one better than the other? Which has a better tone in your opinion? Is the Durga really worth the extra $350? What do believe makes the Durga such an expensive mouthpiece? What makes the SR Tech mouthpiece worth $500? Please post only if you have played one or the other or both. IF you have not tried either of these Mouthpieces please do not post.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
FWIW, I own a bari Durga. Planning to try an SR Tech this weekend. I'll let you know what I think then.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,294 Posts
I've tried the SR Tech and own a Durga, but I haven't tried them side by side. I remember the SR being a very good m/p but I preferred the Lawton I was using at the time. The Durga is by far the best Bari piece I've ever used - it just blew my (good) Lawton away in every respect. Dynamics, flexibility, sound - everything.

They're both expensive mouthpieces, and only you can decide whether they are better or worth the money over much cheaper alternatives, but IMO the Durga bari is the best bari piece out there and worth every cent.

Theo has a very good trial policy. Try one and decide for yourself. BTW I have an 8* which it seems most people find is their preferred tip opening.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I haven't tried a Durga but I have played the SR on several occasions. I've never purchased one because I always found it to play very similar to something I already have. I find the SR to be a very flexible piece, which I beleive is the intention, but get very similar sounds with my RPC and Yani bari pieces so I couldn't justify buying one. Judging from the pics on Kessler's website the Durga appears to have quite a bit more baffle than the SR does so I'd expect it to have both a bigger and brighter sound. I'm waiting for someone with realllllly deep pockets to do a shoot-out between the Durga, JJ DV, and Warburton bari pieces. Anyone have $2k they have nothing better to do with???

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The Durga is not nearly as bright as the look of the baffle suggests. Obviously it's not a good piece for a Mulligan concept but for modern solo and section playing it's perfect.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
The Durga is not nearly as bright as the look of the baffle suggests. Obviously it's not a good piece for a Mulligan concept but for modern solo and section playing it's perfect.
I'll definitely defer to you on this since I haven't played one- that baffle just looks so long and high that everytime a see a picture of it my first reaction is "wow that must be a really loud bright piece". Maybe the size of the chamber mitigates the effect one would expect that large a baffle to have.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I'll definitely defer to you on this since I haven't played one- that baffle just looks so long and high that everytime a see a picture of it my first reaction is "wow that must be a really loud bright piece". Maybe the size of the chamber mitigates the effect one would expect that large a baffle to have.
Yeah, the Durga is actually fairly dark and buttery at low volumes, but it'll bark when you push on it a bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts