Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i play solo, in small 3/4 piece bands, and lead a few big bands, what would be the ideal mouthpiece for me? what would you recommend i try,
i currently play a meyer 5m medium facing richie cole signature mouthpiece with a bg super rev lig and rico select jazz medium/hard 3s,
i have a yamaha 275, an old unmarked buescher stencil and a Hohner 'martini peerless'
i would very much appreciate it if anyone could recommend setups on any of these

im also looking for a rock/jazz tenor piece also for lead tenor,
i am open to any suggestions at all

thanks, Dan

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
What's wrong with the Meyer 5M? Or, what do you feel your not getting with the Meyer?

·
1,305 Posts
The lead alto standard! MEYER 5m or 6m

...now go practice

If your looking at new equipment just for the fun of it, mess with ligatures instead. There's alot of "strange" ones out there that should be both harmless and satisfying enough.

·
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
theres nothing i aint getting with it, i was just wonderin if someone out there thought it wasnt the ideal

·
1,404 Posts
I used to play on a modern Meyer 7M, and after trying a bunch of good alto mouthpieces, I'm using a Morgan 8M. It has a huge dynamic range, great response, and it is the best piece I've found for playing both jazz and rock. It makes a great lead alto piece.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It all depends on your air stream. A Meyer 5 is the generic jazz alto mouthpiece. A Otto Link 7/7* will give you the generic tenor sound. A lead alto in todays big bands needs to project more than in the good old days. You are dealing with amplified instruments. In many high schools you also have electric bass, electric keyboard, a LOUD Drummer, plus frustrated percussionists! What am I gettin at? You need a little bit more volume. Don't confuse volume with baffle. Don't confuse volume with bigger tip openings either. Try a Meyer 7m or 7s or a Vandoren v16 6l or 7m or 7l. Hard Rubber beechlers as well as Metal Yani's can get great too. Don't overblow the horn and work on your overtones...the volume will come.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
well, I am not all that experienced in spite of all my talking about sax;) .....and I am experimenting (sounds like adolescence:twisted: .....much talking about sAx with your friends , not much real experience about it...).

I had a Berg Larsen SMS 95/2 for a while, played very loud, at the time was what I wanted, I played it with Rico plasticover 2 (that is loud and funky to me) .

Then I gained more insight (at least I now think so, tomorrow I don't know...) and went to look for something else (beside the practice which is the real key to solve a lot of problems and eat some humble pie every now and again at a gig) at the moment I play with a Otto Link STM 7* and find it both loud or soft , difficult at first to control because of the fact that a Link this open is very much like a straight tube, really not much in the way of any artifices to shape or mould the air stream but that is , I guess, exactly the reason why you can send it anywhere you, learn in time, to send it.

Today I had another GAS attack :twisted: and bought a Selmer Jazz D..... i'm not sure about it. I have a Selmer Jazz C* for my tenor, perhaps I could grow to a D there too.....

This Selmer seems equally loud as the Link and has perhaps more projection but the funny thing is that it is more difficult to control if you want to play soft and I expected the exact opposite because my tenor piece is extremely good at playing soft (still have problems to produce some decent subs with any horn, more so with the Alto). The general opinion is that alto, especially Martins require ebonite pieces, I have never found (tried ebonite Meyer, Lebayle, Link) a satisfactory piece (to my ears, it might depend on me....) the one which went as close to the Link was a Selmer Super Session F which I would have bought hadn't I had the Link.

·
1,305 Posts
SearjeantSax said:
theres nothing i aint getting with it, i was just wonderin if someone out there thought it wasnt the ideal
Yup, your current setup is ideal for lead alto.

Your going to get at least 20 suggestions of other mouthpieces in this thread...all of which will be "variations" of a meyer mouthpiece.

I play an amazing morgan mouthpiece on alto as a lead alto and I still maintain that your meyer is ideal. I sound the same when I play a meyer it just feels different. Your meyer will take you VERY far.

·
38,837 Posts
makes you wonder why there are any other brands on sale.....doesn'it?:cool: :D to hell with them all! Provide mandatory Meyers to all the shops in the world and make any other piece illegal, make Meyer 5 compulsory, to be sold together with each alto (new or old) ever sold throughout the world......:D

·
878 Posts
I haven't found anything better yet than my JodyJazz DV piece. I did get a Morgan Jazz 6M which is really nice, alot nicer then the Meyer 6M I have. I personally find the DV versatile enough that I'd have no problem playing it in a small ensemble or a big band.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Meyer 5 is great for lead. I play a Lamberson 5SB--it can play pretty loud if I need it to. I subbed in a big band the other day, all pro players, and the guy playing lead had a Meyer 5. He had an edge and projection that was just incredible, plus being able to play softly and still project!
He was 75 and told me that has been his piece for most of his playing life. Yeah, practice those longtones and get to know the mouthpiece you have and get as much playing time on it as you can.

·
497 Posts
saxophoniste said:
Meyer 5 is great for lead. I play a Lamberson 5SB--it can play pretty loud if I need it to. I subbed in a big band the other day, all pro players, and the guy playing lead had a Meyer 5. He had an edge and projection that was just incredible, plus being able to play softly and still project!
He was 75 and told me that has been his piece for most of his playing life. Yeah, practice those longtones and get to know the mouthpiece you have and get as much playing time on it as you can.
I think your older friends meyer 5 is a vastly different beast that a modern meyer 5. for starters the old 5 is closer to a modern 7. inside the modern meyer is a sad pale shadow of its older (actually a meyer) cousin. Like most babbitt acquired mouthpieces they kept the name meyer and pretty much threw out the actual mouthpiece design.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thank you for explaining that. I figured that there must be a difference between what he was playing and the Meyer 5 that I played--bought in the 80s--a few years ago. I'm just beginning to learn all these details!
The Meyer 5 I heard this guy play the other day had, for lack of a better word,a "ring" to it that was just great. I can kind of understand why they go for the big bucks now....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,031 Posts
For years I used a Meyer 6M for lead and a Selmer S-80 D for legit. I switched to a Selmer Super Session D and it replaced both. Also it has a larger round chamber which works well on the vintage horns AND modern.

·
38,837 Posts
I was most impressed by the super session too, as I said before, it really stood out the 20 mpc or so I recently tried in a shop but it was still, very similar to the stm Otto Link I had, probably a little easier when playig soft.

·
Heterodox nonconformist
403 Posts
Heck, the guy who plays lead alto in our big band uses a regular C*...and leads the section, swingin' like a mofo! It's really all in your approach, I guess, is what is to be learned from that. All you have to do is channel Johnny Hodges...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I concur with the jody jazz suggestion. I too play lead alto and play tenor in a rock/ jazz band. I use the jodyjazz classic polycarbonate mouthpiece for both. it comes with a removable spoiler for added edge and power if you need it. for lead I don't need it unless we are playing outdoors.It is less than $ 150.00 and comes in black or cobalt blue for alto.Very freeblowing, wonderful overtones, fat lush low tones, almost tenor like down low.sweet sound for classic big band lead.
put in the spoiler and you can peel paint if you want.
I liked it so much I ordered one for my tenor when i want that classic dark tenor sound.

If money is no object go for the JodyJazz DV gold plated metal mouthpiece. Effortless power, best tone ever on my tenor. A little brighter than Classic with spoiler.Check facing chart and maybe step up one size.If you wanted a high end darker piece ask jody if his DV NY is ready yet for alto.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i would suggest a meyer g series,

thats what ive been playing for the past two years and love it.

it can get really loud with the right reeds AND it can play soft and sweet too. thats what i think some lead players lack these days is the ability to play soft and not sound airy or thin.

but hey, to each his own

·
Registered
28 Posts
i would suggest a meyer g series,

thats what ive been playing for the past two years and love it.

it can get really loud with the right reeds AND it can play soft and sweet too. thats what i think some lead players lack these days is the ability to play soft and not sound airy or thin.

but hey, to each his own

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have an alto Meyer Richie Cole and I am very happy with it. Playes very nice for me and I will be sticking with it for a while.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts