Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking for some help understanding this Precision Crafted mouthpiece in my possession. I know that they were made by Phil Barone, but I cannot seem to find any other information about it. It looks like it was made from a Guardala blank. Is that the case? Are these mouthpieces considered desirable at all? Do they have any kind of reputation (for better or worse)? Is there any common comparison as far as how they play? Are they rare, common, etc.?

You can see photos of the one in question here in the Flickr album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157702203766825

Thank you!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Im sure Phil would be more then happy to talk to you about his piece as he is on the forum on a pretty regular basis. Very nice looking piece considering it's age. Definitely looks like one of his earlier models. I used to own his Fusion model and his contemporary mouthpiece. Both of those were 2 of the best mouthpieces I have ever played on. Just by looking at the pics it probably has a higher baffle in it. I have owned and played original Guardalas as well as Barone made pieces and always thought the Barone pieces were crafted much better and played better then the Guardalas that I owned. Phil was also a lot nicer to deal with then some of my experiences with Dave Guardala

There are a lot of players who still love the higher baffle type pieces and many of them still playing higher baffle pieces to this day. I would bet you have one fine playing mouthpiece in your possession. I'd give anything to play that piece. Wish Phil still offered some of his high baffled pieces. I'd play one in a heartbeat again if I had the chance. Both of Phils pieces played great when I used to own my VI. They didn't adapt to my Keilwerth too nicely though

·
Registered
840 Posts
That looks to be in great shape as well. Doesn't look like it was played on too much. Plating still intact. Back in the days when plating lasted much longer than it does now

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Hi all,

I'm looking for some help understanding this Precision Crafted mouthpiece in my possession. I know that they were made by Phil Barone, but I cannot seem to find any other information about it. It looks like it was made from a Guardala blank. Is that the case? Are these mouthpieces considered desirable at all? Do they have any kind of reputation (for better or worse)? Is there any common comparison as far as how they play? Are they rare, common, etc.?

You can see photos of the one in question here in the Flickr album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157702203766825

Thank you!
That's an old piece, probably from 89. It's not a Guardala blank, I machined it from solid brass. It should play like a Dukoff but with more warmth and it should also be fatter. Anything else?
Phil Barone

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow guys, thank you for the very helpful responses! And thank you Phil, I didn't expect to hear from the maker himself! You were almost spot on with that date, the mpc is inscribed "Made with pride August 3, 1992." This is very exciting. I have to wonder why more people don't talk about these. It really is a beautiful piece and I can't believe the condition its in. I wish I knew who owned it previously. Thank you again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts