Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
575 Posts
This post would be much better answered if it is posted at gearslutz forum.
The mic and mic pre selection is made according to the music and the room.
For micpres I have the two best extremes, from one side is the ultra clean, neutral and spacious Forssell preamp in jfet topology.
The other extreme is the groove tubes vipre, with cinemag in and out transformers, 7 valve fully differential signal path that sounds weighty, smooth, vintage, rich, warm.
Both are very quite and they will really enhance any mic they will be paired with.
I have used also dw fearn tube pre and was also fantastic. I just love the sound of tubes for sax. But not cheap tubes, that is nasty.
I found a bit of compression helps n general.

· Registered
575 Posts
Even if you have the best equipment it will mean nothing if the room is not up to task. That is critical.
Your equipment is good enough to produce some excellent results if you use them in a descent room and you have the right recording and mixing etc. techniques.
Maybe is better if you tell us what you think is the problem if any to make you post in the first place

· Registered
575 Posts
The room you use is far too small to achieve any quality results, especially if it is square or even worst cube, but if properly treated at least you could use it to practise and record some demos.
Depending on your budget and if you own the property perhaps it will be better to sell all those mics and invest in treating the room.
There are lots of products for acoustics that have appeared in music stores during the last years but are overpriced and you will need a lot of them. More importantly you ll need to have at least some basic knowledge of acoustics to know what to do with them.
If you are good with DIY then it is much better solution for cheaper and better products and you can find plenty of details online.
Still, consulting an acoustician will be money wisely spent.
As a very basic rule avoid placing yourself and the microphone in any line of symmetry in the room. The worst place is to put yourself or the mic in the exact middle of the room, including middle between floor and ceiling. Experiment a lot with the placement.
Dont try to correct bad acoustics with eq , doesnt work that way

Try to practise in much bigger rooms to get a broader perspective of your sound.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.