Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

I have been pondering a decision for a while now and I’m stuck and hope for your guidance.

In a local music store there are two Selmer Paris Series II Alto Saxophones.

One is a PRE-Jubilee model Selmer Paris – Series II Alto Sax – Lacquer “new” for $4100.

And one is a Selmer Paris – Series II Alto Sax – Jubilee Gold Lacquer “new” for $6100.

I did some research and I believe Selmer switched to the Jubilee in 2011. So this pre-jubilee has to be hanging on the wall for at least 7 years.
For that matter the jubilee model could be up to 7 years old (or newer) itself.

I’ve read about the differences between the pre-jubilee and the jubilee models.

I checked Kessler & Sons Web site and they offer:
Selmer Paris – Series II Alto Sax – Jubilee Gold Lacquer “store used demo” for $5,999.00
Selmer Paris – Series II Alto Sax – Jubilee Gold Lacquer “new” for $6,759.00

My question is this: There are a lot of other brands and choices but between these two specifically— A.) the New PRE-Jubilee (unknown age but at least 7 years old), and B.) the New Jubilee (unknown age but no older than 7 years).....which would you choose and why? And do you think the price is fair?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would try them both to see if there was a difference in how they played that would justify $2000 more for the newer model. My guess is that, barring any manufacturing variance that would cause one to play much better, the pre-jubilee model is a screaming deal. Which did you end up going with?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
I have both. I love them both. For my point of view, the Jubilee I own is a little more bright. Both are amazing horns. Whatever you decide I think you will be very happy.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Hi Zorroperro- Thanks for the advice. I was reading some of your previous posts on related matters. I was hoping to get a black lacquer II jubillee from Quinn but he is unfortunatley out of them. Something about those horns. Do you have any experience there?

I mean what I would really love is a white one like Ornette Colemans -) but those never come up for sale.

Anyway I was reading about the C# issue on the series ii. I hadn't known about before. Did the transition to jubillee affect this issue at all?

Seeing as you seem to be an expert on this matter, if you could only have one ALTO for jazz and big band would it be and why?:

II pre jubilee
II jubillee
III pre jubilee
III jubilee
Ref 54

Or various finish: black, silver, matte.

PS: I forgot to ask- Are all Jubillee's the same? Or have there been periods of changes/upgrades within this range and if so what are the serial numbers where the changes occurred?

Many thanks

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
Only tried a Black Lacquer II once. Liked it.

The C# is IMHO something every saxophone has and that was the reason the Series III was built with a solution for that. Myself, I prefer the II without that solution because I like to tune it myself as I play.

Thank very much for the way yo express about me. I would take the Series II Jubilee.

Finish, well, I only have played standard lacquered finish. But, I must admit, a Series III neck on a II body is a combination I like very much. But a Series II with its own neck also gives me all I want.

Hi Zorroperro- Thanks for the advice. I was reading some of your previous posts on related matters. I was hoping to get a black lacquer II jubillee from Quinn but he is unfortunatley out of them. Something about those horns. Do you have any experience there?

I mean what I would really love is a white one like Ornette Colemans -) but those never come up for sale.

Anyway I was reading about the C# issue on the series ii. I hadn't known about before. Did the transition to jubillee affect this issue at all?

Seeing as you seem to be an expert on this matter, if you could only have one ALTO for jazz and big band would it be and why?:

II pre jubilee
II jubillee
III pre jubilee
III jubilee
Ref 54

Or various finish: black, silver, matte.

PS: I forgot to ask- Are all Jubillee's the same? Or have there been periods of changes/upgrades within this range and if so what are the serial numbers where the changes occurred?

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Thanks zorroperro.

So it sounds like the move to Jubillee did not affect the c# issue that i've read about.

BTW- I understand that no saxophone plays in completely in tune and its up to the player.

I prefer the sound of the series ii from videos on youtube. I've had a reference in 2005 or so. I didn't know how to play at the time really. And I have tried several more recently. The one factor I am considering now prior to purchase is the resale value of the reference 54 alto seem to be very good. Not sure about the series ii alto jubilee. Will do some research here. Cheers.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Better Selmer Paris 52J alto prices new (free shipping for both):

saxforte.com SA80 Serie II Jubilee (new in box from factory, unplayed except playability inspection, US warranty) gold lacquer $4,959, black lacquer $5,829

Melody Music (on Reverb 20% off sale, "mint' but new) SA80 Serie II Jubilee gold lacquer $4,479.20, black lacquer $5,263.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts