Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an M-Audio Duo USB pre amp, and it has switches in the input and output sides that say +4 or -10. What are these, and what do I want to set them on for recording saxophone. Also, it has an S/PDIF output. What is this?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
the +4 and -10 are voltage levels - Broadly +4 is the standard Line level for Studio Gear - and "-10" more in line with domestic kit
S/Pidf is a digital interface either Co-Ax or Optical.
these are relevant for whatever outboard gear - amps or whatever - you pla to plug it into, but probably irrelevant for the actual recording process.

Here is a description of the process
http://emusician.com/recording/emusic_maudio_duo_quattro/

·
Registered
38 Posts
claremaster88 said:
I have a shure beta 58A mic, and normal panasonic monitoring headphones. What do I need to set them to?
You don't need to set you headphones and microphone to anything! There's nothing to set on them!

OK. I don't mean to sound rude, but you will get far by reading the manual for your M-Audio. Consider learning to record as being roughly equivalent to learning to play your sax. It ain't easy. Read some stuff. In your other thread it was suggested that the first thing you should do is to go out and get a book on home recording. I highly agree.

Just a tidbit . . .

The M-Audio will allow you to record via the USB connection. The M-Audio probably came with ASIO drivers. Set up your recording program (aka DAW, aka Digital Audio Workstation) so that it usio the M-Audio's ASIO drivers for recording input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I'm talking about what do I set the line input/output to for my headphones and mic? +4 or -10?

And I did read the M-Audio manual.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I'll add that:

1. Your mic goes in the mic input. You then control the input level with the controls.
2. The line in is for things like CD player and ipod inputs ( not the headphone out-you need an interface like you use when you plug into your stereo--something that goes dock to line out). Just use whichever setting gets the best sound on your device. Usually it will be -10, unless you have a synth or other device that's +4.
3. The line outs are for Stand Alone mode--that's when you use the device as a stand-alone preamp, where you don't use the computer. Don't worry about this one at home.
4. Interface with your computer using the USB.
5. You can plug your phones into either the headphone out of the preamp or the headphone out of your computer. Just watch out for 'latency'. That's the slight delay sometimes happens when there's a lot of number crunching going on in your computer.
6. READ YOUR MANUAL and follow the directions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts