Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
View attachment 188482 View attachment 188490 View attachment 188498

Back in January I bought a pre-1998 modern Link STM tenor piece locally. The tip size (8*) is stamped on the shank and the word "Super" is in inverted commas. The three photos above show it in the condition I received it in, before I polished it up.

Two things about it puzzle me:

1. It is rhodium (or silver) plated with no sign of ever having received a top coat of gold. There is nothing to indicate that it was a reject — a "second". Did Link ever issue these as an alternative to gold ?

2. It has a code stamped on the side: S202 (see Picture 1, above). What can this mean ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,906 Posts
I do remember a thread about this piece in the past.
I recall somebody saying that a certain refacer often stamped pieces in this matter.
It may have been “Drake” but I don’t really remember.

·
Administrator
17,301 Posts

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I have an EB STM that looks similar to this. All of the gold is gone but the silver or rhodium looks great as if the piece had never been gold plated. I think the gold plating on some of them was just not done very well and wore off very easily.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the fast replies.

I must apologise for not finding the earlier thread, remembered by B Flat, and for which mrpeebee gives the reference above — it was only last October that that thread dealing with the exact same mouthpiece was started but somehow I managed to miss it. When he started that thread, SotW member balmy (who signs himself as Steve) used some of the exact same set of photographs as I drew on for this thread !

It's the same mouthpiece all right; but it seems balmy didn't buy it. I got it from John O'Hagan, a well-known musician and music teacher from Melbourne, in January. I was under the impression that he had had the piece (along with a King tenor he was also selling) for many years.

It plays extremely well, reedsburn62 – I'll be hanging on to it.

It's definitely an early modern STM, made somewhere between 1980 and 1998. KeithL might be right about the gold plating having worn entirely away, but I suspect that littlewailer is right on the money, suggesting that it might have been worked on, replated and then stamped.

The question is, whose stamp is it (and therefore who did the work) ? I don't believe it was Eric Drake. I've checked out a few of his refurbished pieces and all of them are stamped with the letter D for Drake, followed by a reference number. This one is stamped "S202". Could it possibly be Sakshama ?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I had a rubber Wolfe Tayne tenor piece that had a small s on the side, it had been worked on by Mark Spencer, the Australian refacer. I don't know if Mark is still working on pieces, some of the tenor pieces he reworked were very good, he was a good player himself, he liked largish tip openings on Links, around 8* I think.This STM you have could be a Spencer.

·
Administrator
17,301 Posts
Here is a Mark Spencer mouthpiece with a stamp on the side, but the font used looks different compared to the piece discussed:
https://goo.gl/images/oi3fbP

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,906 Posts
I don’t believe that Mark used a stamp regularly although he may have on occasion.
I have and have seen a few pieces by him or worked on by him and they are not marked at all.
I don’t believe he is actively refacing pieces at the moment except perhaps for those close to him.
This is a shame as he certainly knows how to make a piece work.
This piece does look interesting though and I must admit that I was tempted when it was available.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts