Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been playing a lot of soprano in a band latly. been using my acient holton ,selmer series 3 and king straight. brought out my forgotten yani s6 to the last gig and presto-paydirt! this old warhorse desighn still delivers the goods-in spades! teamed with a berg 65/2 -i was on fire!-havent played this good in a decade. still the best soprano desighn (selmer mk6 copy after all) of all time to me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
NICE.........and a really great horn...I HAD a S800 that when I got it I sold my SC9930 (the tone was that much better to my ears). It was that good! However; if you every get a chance try a H-Couf...it may just surprise you :) enjoy the S6 a classic for sure!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Played one for 30 years that I purchased in 79. I bought it after testing against a more expensive MK VI soprano. Both horns sounded and felt the same, simply incredible, but the intonation was better on the Yani and the cost was significantly less. It was interesting because I had never heard of Yani at the time, however, some pro friends of mine were raving about their sopranos. For tenor I played a VI, but for soprano, it was the Yani. Today the same, a Ref. tenor but a Yani soprano. Yani's lead the pack when it comes to sopranos in my view. In fact, I'm at a point where I feel Yani makes the best saxes period.

·
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
same here-bought my first s6 in early 80,s. never heard of yanagasawia either -but knew a good horn when i played one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
Played one for 30 years that I purchased in 79. I bought it after testing against a more expensive MK VI soprano. Both horns sounded and felt the same, simply incredible, but the intonation was better on the Yani and the cost was significantly less. It was interesting because I had never heard of Yani at the time, however, some pro friends of mine were raving about their sopranos. For tenor I played a VI, but for soprano, it was the Yani. Today the same, a Ref. tenor but a Yani soprano. Yani's lead the pack when it comes to sopranos in my view. In fact, I'm at a point where I feel Yani makes the best saxes period.
Same experience - owned an S6 for several years before the opportunity to compare with a Mark VI. Same conclusions as yours - kept the S6 and the money, and still play the former. Spent the latter.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
the series III sopanos I've tried are beautiful but I don't recall having played on a worse toned soprano, ever. Anything asian, ancient or whatever beats a series III hands down.

·
Registered
957 Posts
the series III sopanos I've tried are beautiful but I don't recall having played on a worse toned soprano, ever. Anything asian, ancient or whatever beats a series III hands down.
That's obviously your own opinion ... Having try recent Yamaha and Yanagisawa, the SIII had, FOR ME, the best tone, by far!!!

·
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have been very disapointed with my selmer series 3. tone wise its fine . leaks at the neck joint and oct key problems. not the quality you would expect from selmer. i only bought it cause it was only 1000$ but my 200$ tawiaese horn plays as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts