Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've dealt with Mark Overton and Saxquest though the years since it first went online. I've bought horns, and I've consigned horns to Saxquest to sell for me. I'm no dealer, just a guy always looking for "the magic horn." I've always had great dealings with Mark and his staff, they've been consistently honest and accurate, and I've never had an issue.
I'd always assumed Saxquest was primarily an online presence, a small operation working out of some back room, because whenever I called I'd get Mark or John. A couple weeks ago, when I decided to sell two horns, I drove 2 days to them in St. Louis to deliver them in-person, to finally meet. I was amazed by how big the Saxquest store is. The physical store itself has a good size showroom with numerous vintage and new saxes, mouthpieces, and reeds & accessories for sale. The office area has multiple desk-phone stations, there's a technicians' room with 6-8 workstations, and there's an upstairs "museum" with several rooms of rare and sought-after horns on display. While I was there, I met at least 3 different salesmen and 4 techs, and I know there were some I didn't meet. The place was busy with frequent calls, and people stopping into the store to try and buy horns. Despite being busy, Mark and his staff were great to me. I was permitted to try anything in the store and museum area, including many horns I'd only read or seen pictures of. I spent hours A/B-ing a couple tenors that I couldn't decide on, and their staff would even play the horns for me to help me choose. I never felt neither neglected nor in the way, Mark and his staff were always helpful and genuine. Saxquest sales and tech staff are all sax players, most if not all are music majors, and very into all things saxophone. I was even able to get a minor repair of a horn from one of the techs, even though he had plenty work on his plate. It was a fun visit, and only increased my regard for Mark and his team. I encourage anyone who can make the trip to check out Saxquest in-person.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey +1 on Saxquest!

I'm lucky to live in Stl - and have gotten the bug to replace my old Martin Bari (really rough with a bad relaq job). Every time I visit - I get excellent service. Even when there are serious players ready to drop serious jack on a horn, I've never been ignored or made to feel inferior (which I clearly am!).

Then there is the Museum - which is also where you can play test the horns. There is something awesome about playing in a room with antique horns on the walls - in cabinets - display cases - and just laying about!

If yer ever in the neighborhood - you gotsta check em out.

Speaking of the neighborhood, they are located on Cherokee, in Antique Row. Lots of cool shops to visit. The Casa Loma Ball room is just a couple of blocks west....

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,677 Posts
+1. I haven't bought any 'big ticket' items from saxquest, just reeds, and a few accessories, but the service was excellent and I always got what I ordered within a few days. First class operation!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a King Zephyr bari, 2 SaxRax stands, and several small items from these guys. I have to say they're great. Highly recommended - I really appreciate the great customer service!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
I bought my SBA alto from Mark a couple of years ago. Fine customer service, very easy to deal with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts