Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
actually it's Dedham, but he's only a couple miles away from Boston...(Dedham borders Boston.)

I just bought my first Selmer Mark VI tenor and I got it at Sax Oasis. Back in August, I brought my Conn 6M tranny to Les for a little tweaking and while I was there I tried out some horns. I came across a Mark VI (155XXX) that sounded as great as my Conn 10M but was much easier to play and the price was right. I thought the Mark VI sounded great when I tried it, but Les overhauled it anyways and threw on brass oversized resonators. The sax is super tight and can whisper effortlessly throughout the range of the horn...but the big surprise was how LOUD it can scream! I was shocked. I had never played a sax with brass oversized resonators before. LOUD!

And just so I don't sound like a shill...The Selmer came in a really crappy case - completely unusable for NYC where I would be taking it on the subway, so I had to buy a new Protec case for the sax.

Considering the condition of the sax (ugly original lacquer but no dents, ding, bad solders, or obvious repairs) and the fresh overhaul, I believe I got a very good deal. PM me if you want to know the price I paid.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just visited Les for the first time a couple weeks ago. I was only there for a half-hour, but in that short time, he made some tweaks to my Series II tenor that greatly improved the way it plays. I'm hoping to bring it back to him soon for some more work.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,121 Posts
Les is great. I have posted this opinion in other threads as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1) the action is much more comfortable to me on the Mark VI (and it hangs on me better); 2) I can play faster on the Mark VI; 3) I can play big intervals easier on the Mark VI. I'm sure the overhaul contributes to #2 & #3.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts