Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Laryngitis and feel really rough and was in two minds about practicing this evening but thought I needed some me time so thought I'd just do a short easy session. I did only play for 30 mins but really enjoyed and actually took my mind off feeling so ill for a while.

So there really is no excuse to not practice. :)

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
Sometimes resting makes you get better quicker. It's not so much an excuse not to practise (not wanting to practise is my excuse and I find nothing wrong with that at my age) as a good thing to do when your body needs to battle some virus or something.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,708 Posts
Depends what's making you ill. A head cold can really be weird if you get that sound like you're playing with ear plugs.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
790 Posts
I've found that practicing when I'm congested can actually have a decongestant effect, loosening stuff up and helping me expel it. Just be certain to disinfect your mouthpiece and reeds when you pack up.

Randy
www.randyhunterjazz.com
Online Jazz Lessons and Books
New Lesson:
Making Sense of Jazz Improvisation
Lesson Series:
Introduction to the Blues
The Arpeggio Circle
Through the Keys
and more...
Lessons page: www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm
Rhythm Changes Demo:
Rhythm Changes Lesson:

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,261 Posts
Just getting over a bit of flu and had to do a gig. Two sets of 40 minutes with a third of about an hour. I was OK at the time but feel like hell now. It sure wasn't a cure!

·
Registered
782 Posts
It depends how ill I am but mostly I try to play through illness. My warped logic goes like this - when feeling ill, breathing often becomes more shallow. Playing makes you take in more air. That, once you get over the too sick to be bothered feeling, actually makes me feel more positive. But, it isn't for everyone. General rule for me, if it hurts, stop.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Yes I played today for 5 hours with 5 different groups and played my bass flute soprano flute and recorders . Had a head cold achy flu and no i feel energized lol

Doug

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh guys. I really didnt mean to cause offense. I meant no excuse for me as someone who likes to procrastinate.

I fully understand that there are many reason not to practice. I actually haven't this evening as I really do not feel up to it tonight.

Sorry for upsetting some of you. x

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,680 Posts
Who's upset? Reading through the posts, I don't see any evidence that anyone got upset in any way.

But sure, take a day or two off if you don't feel up to it. No problem there.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
You didn't (at all). It's just that some of us can be a bit abrupt.

Sorry you felt sorry and hope you're feeling better soon. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol I am now giggling at all the 'sorrys' we can get into one thread. I still feel rough as **** but did 20 mins (long tones and scales) yesterday and 30 today (fun pieces). Just to keep me ticking over.

Thanks for the replies. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just been through a head cold and ear ache that had me not practice for a couple of days. I was surprised how quickly I tired in the 1st practice session back, only about 1/2 way through my normal routine, I was spent, short of breath and aching chops. Thankfully a few days later, aside from a slight cough at the most inconvenient times, everything seems back to normal.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
After a week's bout with the flu started practicing 10:00 last night ...trying out reeds I just purchased and going through some of the more rigorous tunes in my repertoire (mostly Pink Floyd stuff) ... combination of not practicing and trying to get Rigotti's tuned in I sounded like the crap that I felt like ... anyway, things are better, will be missing today's rehearsal ... all 3 of my bands seem to be in hiatus mode right now so time to recover from illness, recoup my playing and start feeling better ...it sure is BORING having the flu

1 - 17 of 17 Posts