Sax on the Web Forum banner

Practicing vibrato

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  danewsaxkid 
danewsaxkid said:
I just learned to play with vibrato, but i have some problems.
When the tongue moves in "circles", I end up either with the tongue just moving side to side (I really do not know why), or hitting the reed.
I have been taught to play against a wall when practice. Can anyone help??
This sounds weird (again!!!!) What's your tongue got to do with it? Did someone tell you that the tongue "moving in circles" has anything to do with saxophone vibrato? It sounds almost like you're confusing the ideas of tonguing and vibrato in some strange way. And what is this "up against the wall" business??!! (maybe to do with breathing or diaphragm vibrato or sound reflection - who knows?? probably nothing to do with vibrato per se??) Vibrato on sax is usually produced by a fairly subtle "chewing" motion between embouchure and reed/mouthpiece - this is what others have called "jaw vibrato". I'd really advise you to get a teacher or get a better one. It sounds like at the moment you're getting confused or someone is confusing you. All the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.