Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just learned to play with vibrato, but i have some problems.
When the tongue moves in "circles", I end up either with the tongue just moving side to side (I really do not know why), or hitting the reed.
I have been taught to play against a wall when practice. Can anyone help??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,142 Posts
The first thing you might want to consider is your method of producing vibrato. I've never heard of anyone using their tongue to create a vibrato. Generally, vibrato is produced using either the jaw or diaphragm.
For jaw vibrato, try saying "va" or "wa." These syllables create the proper movement in the jaw for vibrato.
For diaphragm vibrato, try "ha."
In your practice, aim for sixteenth notes at 72-80. Good luck and hope that helps.

Edit: You might also consult The Eugene Rousseau Saxophone Method, Volume 2 (I think. Maybe vol. 1) There is a good explanation of vibrato in there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Are you using your tongue to get a vibrato? Find the Larry Teal book "The Art of Saxophone Playing" . It has the best explanation of acheiving a fine vibrato available. This book is a must for any sax player. I know it is stiil in print. I saw one at a sheet music dealer a week ago. Vibrato is usualy accomplished using the jaw and less frequently the throat. Larry's book will expalin it all and instruct you how to practice it.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,200 Posts
Listen to these guys. They won't give you bad advice. I prefer the wa-wa method for vibrato.

Is your teacher by any chance a BRASS player?! They can be basically clueless when it comes to reed instruments. :?

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
bandmommy said:
Is your teacher by any chance a BRASS player?! They can be basically clueless when it comes to reed instruments. :?
...but they don't produce vibrato using their tongues, either.

C

·
0 Posts
As a sometimes brass player, I use my jaw, same as I do on the sax.
In fact, it's even easier on a brass horn than with a sax or reed horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Columnist, Forum Con
3,801 Posts
Additionally, playing against a wall allows you to hear what your audience will hear. That can be a good technique to use occasionally. Recording yourself is also good, albeit painful. Do that when you think you're sounding great; it's a good way to bring you back down to earth. :cool:

·
Registered
496 Posts
I also prefer jaw vibrato, it seems to be richer, although, I use ya-ya instead of wa-wa because Sometimes the students lips will move forward with wa. Try them all out and see which one works best for you, and yes, record yourself.

·
19,200 Posts
Sorry about the 'Brass player' comment.

I didn't mean to offend. In the future I will keep those kinds of thoughts to myself.

Again, I apologize.

·
27,650 Posts
NO apology needed. Brass players deserve a barb here and there. :twisted:

·
19,200 Posts
Thanks gary, I wouldn't have said it except for the fact that our Middle school band director is a brass player. He's ALWAYS asking about how to fix problems with his clarinets and saxes. He admits that he's clueless when it comes to reeds. My husband and youngest daughter play trumpet, 2 older sisters and I are reed players, so there is a friendly war between the sections in my own home.

With enough of us helping this kid, vibrato should be mastered in no time at all.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
danewsaxkid said:
I just learned to play with vibrato, but i have some problems.
When the tongue moves in "circles", I end up either with the tongue just moving side to side (I really do not know why), or hitting the reed.
I have been taught to play against a wall when practice. Can anyone help??
This sounds weird (again!!!!) What's your tongue got to do with it? Did someone tell you that the tongue "moving in circles" has anything to do with saxophone vibrato? It sounds almost like you're confusing the ideas of tonguing and vibrato in some strange way. And what is this "up against the wall" business??!! (maybe to do with breathing or diaphragm vibrato or sound reflection - who knows?? probably nothing to do with vibrato per se??) Vibrato on sax is usually produced by a fairly subtle "chewing" motion between embouchure and reed/mouthpiece - this is what others have called "jaw vibrato". I'd really advise you to get a teacher or get a better one. It sounds like at the moment you're getting confused or someone is confusing you. All the best.

C

·
0 Posts
bandmommy said:
Sorry about the 'Brass player' comment.

I didn't mean to offend. In the future I will keep those kinds of thoughts to myself.

Again, I apologize.
No offense taken !

My Band director back in the day was a trumpet player . He didn't know squat about woodwinds. I only dabble with the Trumpet/Cornet. My first and true love is the Sax. Brass winds are fair game , you should hear what they say about sax players on another trumpet site I visit .

You know what they say about your first love ! ;)

·
27,650 Posts
oops - I can't read. :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
i find the best way to practise vibrato is to start off doing a "Wa" every beat...as in crocthes...then move up to 2 "Wa's" a beat......Then in tripelets...do this evry day and you are garunteed to get it right...it wont happen over night though...just keep getting faster and faster

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'm sorry guys.
i talked to my teacher and i found out that the tongue thing was the problme.
i misunderstood my teacher
as a matter of fact, it is the jaw method.
sorry guys for posting up a thread with such a stoopid remark :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts