Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I practise soprano and alto sax in my car too not to disturb my neighbours too much if late at night or early morning.

Not while driving though. I go somewhere where people will not be disturbed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
I have an old friend who practices trumpet as he works as a cab driver. He will play during a trip if the passenger doesn't mind and all the time while driving to a pickup or waiting between fares. Helps to have only three valves to operate! Leaves one hand free to operate the car...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I'm sure that works until a CHP officer sees you and tickets you. I know of a friend who would do something similar with trumpet in his truck and he got a ticket for distracted driving that was like $300

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Now, you know, I'm just going to have to say it.....

Does he have sax with other people in his car? :hippy2:

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,408 Posts
If I don't want to disturb anyone in my house I take it to the barn. The sheep 'sing along'.
This is the only benifit to being unemployed. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
If I don't want to disturb anyone in my house I take it to the barn. The sheep 'sing along'.
That and lamb chops. :mrgreen:

·
8,588 Posts
Barns are hard to come by in LA. :)

·
8,588 Posts

·
8,588 Posts
... and to think, not a scratch on the horn.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,096 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Steve: I honestly never even thought of it until this guy showed me pictures of him doing it. Then the other night I really had no choice...I HAD to learn a couple difficult passages before I could walk into this gig and look the band in the eye. So I find this empty parking lot by the highway...and, aside from the 2 or 3 cars who came in making U-turns and looked at me funny, it was totally cool. And I'm sitting there thinking why have I never thought of this? Logistically, unless you have a van, it really needs to be a soprano. But hey, I'm gonna do it again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Alto works in a car too. Tenor or Bari -- you are out of luck without a van...

I like the approach and use it when on the road for business or visiting family, but for me the windows tend to fog up a bit...

·
8,588 Posts
Alto works in a car too. Tenor or Bari -- you are out of luck without a van...

I like the approach and use it when on the road for business or visiting family, but for me the windows tend to fog up a bit...
That usually happens when you have sax in the car.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,546 Posts
I had a job as a security guard for a shopping center years ago. I basically had a soprano, flute, clarinet, and hours and hours to kill. Good times. For some reason shopping center never had any problems with theft. Guess the noise scared them away. Nowa days I'll play clarinet if its 7 or 6 in the morning and I have to be somewhere to teach early. K

1 - 20 of 25 Posts