Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to do some travel for work (day job). I'm hoping to bring my axe and practice in the hotel when I have time.

Has anyone done this successfully? Will the hotel/neighbors make me stop?

My sax is pretty loud, tenor with big metel mpc. Maybe a towel in the bell would make it ok.

Any advice? Is it worth taking it along or should I bring a book instead?

Thanks

· Registered
597 Posts
It's unlikely they will let you. The towel in the bell wouldn't do a lot, as a considerable amount of sound comes out of the tone holes. Ask the desk clerk where the nearest park is, and go there.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,403 Posts
You might get away with practicing during work hours but after dinner time, it's verboten.

An alternative is to find whether your hotel has a conference space or ballroom that is not being used - they might let you in there.

I often play in parking garages but that depends on whether you feel safe there.

Alto flute is about the most benign when it comes to playing in a hotel room.

Bottom line: It's a good time to read a good book. Such books as "Developing a Jazz Vocabulary" or "The Inner Game of Music" might help flesh out some ideas.

Happy travels.

Reactions: Jose

· Registered
563 Posts
My experience, though I am not quick at learning a new instrument was that flute uses an enormous amount of breathe that I got light-headed after 2 or 3 minutes. I couldn't practice enough because of this and gave up on the flute. Good luck though.

38,403 Posts
How hard is flute to learn? I keep meaning to learn
Depends on how seriously you take it. Soprano ("regular") flutes can get quite loud in the upper register, alto flutes are just beautiful (to me).

I'd suggest getting several lessons to dial in the embouchure and basics and then you're off and running.

38,403 Posts
Big band? Usually not. Those parts are more often written for C flute - alto is voiced in G. Ever consider joining a flute choir? If there's one in your area, I'll bet you a donut and a cup o' coffee that they need an alto flute.

For combo work, tho', it's a lovely voice.

38,403 Posts
I drag my alto along with me sometimes and just practice fingerings and reading along with the metronome.

Not brave enough to practice in public yet!
Thank you.

· Registered
731 Posts
I take my alto along when I travel which has been frequently this year. Some of my road trips last for weeks. I drive a truck and demo trailer and practice in the trailer outside in the parking lot as much as possible. It gets harder to do that now that the days are getting shorter and the cold weather is not far away. After the tourist season has passed I find that the hotels are not as full. When I check in I usually tell them that I have my horn along and ask if it is OK to play in my room. I also ask for a room near the end of the building or one with no other guests close. This does not always work. Playing late afternoon early evening are best after that good luck as other guests are settling in for the night. If that does not work I ask for a conference room or a room in the basement. Sometimes this works, not always as other rooms are not always available. If they tell me it is OK to play they know what room I am in to call if there is a complaint. I have been called a few times and asked to stop, always asking me nicely. One manager asked me to not even bring it in to the hotel as he said it would cause nothing but problems. Even with all of this, when I am practicing in the hotel room, I always feel like the phone is going to ring or I will get a knock on the door so I do not play the way I should and it affects the way I practice. When I am finished I am usually glad that I did practice but am also glad that it is finished so that I do not feel like I am constantly looking over my shoulder. Playing in the trailer outside can be interesting also. I have practiced at all kinds of places all over the USA which usually sparks the curiosity of people who hear. I have had some interesting experiences and have met some really neat people. It is kind of hit and miss, good luck with whatever you decide.

38,403 Posts
Even with all of this, when I am practicing in the hotel room, I always feel like the phone is going to ring or I will get a knock on the door so I do not play the way I should and it affects the way I practice. When I am finished I am usually glad that I did practice but am also glad that it is finished so that I do not feel like I am constantly looking over my shoulder.
Amen. That's why I stopped traveling with a sop if the intention was to play in my hotel room.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,659 Posts
The doc is right. I practice at the hotel almost everywhere with great success. Ask at the front desk if you can use an empty conference room. Or just do it depending on the hotel. If they say no, go down to the conference area and ask around there. Many hotels have a disconnect of communication. The roof is another good place. I've had a number of security guards allow me onto the roof. Just ask. (nicely). Another idea - frequently hotels renovate one floor at a time. That's a great opportunity. Also the local park is a good bet in decent weather. I'm usually pretty bored when on the road so its about the only time I practice without a band. It's that or eat and drink...more....

· Banned
40 Posts
Well friend! Welcome to the club!!! Assemble the horn, prepare to make a lot of noise, but don't !! Go thru the motions, blow air thru the horn etc....... That is as close as you'll come to real practice!!!! Also, ask for a room that might not have neighboring quests! Good luck!

· Registered
643 Posts
I've taken my soprano to hotels a couple of times. It never occurred to me to ask for permission. I figure half an hour of practice at no louder than mf, no later than about 7.30pm, is no more antisocial than having the television on moderately loud at the same time.

It might make a difference what you play. If the walls are thin, playing tunes is probably easier for others to live with than long tones (unless you're working on subtone, perhaps) or scales.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts