Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Downstairs and upstairs neighbors can be a drag, at our last aparment we had noise issues with both, the floor transmits so much noise in some buildings it’s unbelievable, fortunately we’ve moved from a 1930’s era tenement building to a 70’s solid concrete edifice that is incredibly better soundproof.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
519 Posts
Ambaryerno or anyone else who may be interested: I have a 4x6 Whisper Room that I can't use because our NYC apartment (with 3 kids) is too small. I'd be willing to let it go for a small fraction of the original cost, as long as the person taking it was willing to pick it up (it's stored in Jersey City, NJ). I haven't used it in years, but it has all the parts including the air ventilation unit, though we misplaced the screws (which are standard sized bolts available at any hardware store) during one of our moves. The parts collectively weigh a ton and are unwieldy as heck, so you'd need some sort of truck to transport it. P/m me for details if this is of interest.

79 Posts
I'd think building one wouldn't be that difficult. It's just a simple wooden box with some ventilation and an air chamber between the unit's inner and outer walls. 2x4's, plywood, screws and some pinkboard would probably do the trick pretty easily. A napkin and some reflective time to draw up plans could even result in a useable space within the apartment. Additional reflective time could result in a room accessory that is easily torn down for transport. Probably cost 300ish bucks depending on size and cool factor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,296 Posts
I'd think building one wouldn't be that difficult. It's just a simple wooden box with some ventilation and an air chamber between the unit's inner and outer walls. 2x4's, plywood, screws and some pinkboard would probably do the trick pretty easily. A napkin and some reflective time to draw up plans could even result in a usable space within the apartment. Additional reflective time could result in a room accessory that is easily torn down for transport. Probably cost 300ish bucks depending on size and cool factor.
My guess is that the Whisper Room technology goes beyond a "simple wooden box with some ventilation and an air chamber between the unit's inner and outer walls." If that's all it is, it wouldn't work. Soundproofing is doable but not easy.

I haven't tried to build a portable whisper room, but I've built (with the help of various contractors) a studio with three sound isolation booths. I expect the concept is the same. In my case, the entire space has floated floors on big rubber U joints, double doors, insulation filled, double thick walls that do not connect with each other, and the ceiling is on a rubber gasket etc...The HVAC is all piped in through baffles to reduce machine noise, and everything is caulked and sealed. You would think that would do it, but no. There is still some audio bleed with very loud sources.

It is neat to look out the window (double pane and argon filled) and watch the lawn service drive by silently on a riding mower while recording an acoustic guitar, but even with all that effort it's not perfect...I should have filled the walls with sand and put more effort into the ceiling, but I ate through my budget pretty quickly. In the end I guess it all worked out ok. I don't see myself in the space 10 years from now, and I doubt there's much (if any) resale value in my efforts to soundproof.

79 Posts
My guess is that the Whisper Room technology goes beyond a "simple wooden box with some ventilation and an air chamber between the unit's inner and outer walls." If that's all it is, it wouldn't work. Soundproofing is doable but not easy.
He's not trying to keep the noise out of his room but the noise inside his apartment from leaking into the neighbors apartment(s). I'm guessing it'd be good'nuff to get the job done.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,296 Posts
He's not trying to keep the noise out of his room but the noise inside his apartment from leaking into the neighbors apartment(s). I'm guessing it'd be good'nuff to get the job done.
You could be right....

....but...

Every time I opt for the $300 solution over the $3000 solution, I end up spending $3,300.... :)

I'm just lucky like that I guess...

·
Registered
147 Posts
This sounds interesting! I recently moved into a small apartment in New Rochelle and I've just been stuffing a towel in the bell and playing into my closet. Might have to look in to one of these.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts