Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved to NYC into a one bedroom apartment. I’ve been practicing all my woodwinds during the day with no complaints from our neighbors (most of which are out during the day), but have been hesitant to play the saxophone because of its volume of sound. I recently picked up a used GIK portable isolation booth. It folds up into 45”x21”x10”, opens into a 6’7” x 4’ v shaped enclosure, it works great to absorb a great deal of sound from bouncing around the room, very effective in muffling the sound if you play against an interior apartment wall or corner with the v shape behind you, to absorb the reflected sound. While the saxophone isn’t silenced, it cuts the volume and overtones substantially, without the expense and size of a whisper room.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
481 Posts
Very interesting. Does the reflected sound still sound like you or does it alter the frequency balance to the point where you sound different?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reflected sound with the isolation booth behind me sounds like my sound, if I turn around and play into the isolation booth, it sucks out highs and presence, like playing into a clothes closet. I clearly prefer using it behind me, to muffle my sound in the rest of the room and beyond (into other apartments). This solution is only really effective if you have a wall or corner to use that goes into the outside or another room in your apartment. The portable isolation booth is an elegant (if somewhat expensive solution) since it folds up easily and compactly for storage. They list for $325, I got mine used for $200, it would be possible to rig up something similar for a great deal less money, it is essentially a high tech acoustical room divider, but I think the concept would work in a lot of situations, without spending the thousands for a whisper room ( and may be more satisfying, as most whisper rooms I’ve used suck up most of your sound.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Thank you for this info. I have a small office downtown that I use for my profession as a counselor. I originally wanted a space where I could practice/have rehearsals, and do my "day gig", but spaces good for music usually had the downside of not seeming very professional (and smelling like weed), and the more "professional" spaces (like I'm in now) are full of lawyers, etc. and are limted as far as how much sound they'll tolerate. I have some acoustic treatments just for confidentiality for patients, but not good enough for wailing on saxophone, or even flute. A friend of mine has a space more conducive to music but it was recently broken into and thousands of dollars in gear were stolen. I'm not sure what the answer is.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I just play in the laundry room of my apartment complex when I can't hit one of the music stores after work to borrow their practice rooms. It echoes a bit and the machines can make it difficult to hear myself clearly, but at least it's isolated and doesn't disturb the neighbors.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Playing softly is necessary to play well loudly. Blasting Altiss sitting in my recliner softly while the GF sleeps is a learned art. All is possible, scales patterns, jam with the smooth cable jazz. Dial that mpc and reed to whisper, shouting is easy.

·
Registered
537 Posts
. They list for $325, I got mine used for $200
Since that's about the cost of a mouthpiece (many are a lot more of course) I think this sounds like a good investment--especially if it allows one to practice more. Thanks for posting, I had not heard of these either.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Thanks for this product recommendation. Very cool indeed and really not crazy expensive.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
I don’t miss anything about apartment living. I was lucky enough to have a loft in Brooklyn where I could play 24 hours a day. I had a drum set, Rhodes piano and amps. Of course remt was a lot less back then.
I’d be worried somebody would hear me practicing and break in and steal my stuff when they knew I was gone if I lived there now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,998 Posts
That looks awesome!
I’ve been needing something like that. A friend bought a beautiful vintage dressing screen but by the time he lined it the cost wasn’t far off and it doesn’t fold up as well.
Is NY a permanent move?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have a 4'X6' WhisperRoom. I realize that they are expensive (and incredibly impractical for a one bedroom NYC apartment), but for me it has been a godsend.

I got mine about 4 years ago when I was living in a two-bedroom apartment. Until then, I had been practicing soprano only, during daylight hours, into the clothes in our closet. After about two years of this, I broke down and bought the WhisperRoom. It was a major decision for me and wound up costing about $4000, but it was a life-changer. After getting the WhisperRoom, I could practice tenor again regularly, at full volume, and at any time of the day or night.

I've since moved out of the apartment and into a small house, where I have other spaces to practice when the WhisperRoom feels cramped, but I still spend probably 90% of my practice time in the WhisperRoom. I leave my instruments set up in it and can practice whenever the feeling hits, including in the middle of the night, without any worry of imposing on my wife or neighbors.

For me, it's easily dollar-for-dollar the best music-related purchase I've ever made, and has definitely done much more to improve my playing than any equivalent investment in horns or mouthpieces could have.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Playing into a closet works, but it sucks up so much sound that it is depressing for me at least. Using the portable booth behind me muffles the sound for everyone but me, while I can hear myself really well, for me the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My problem is the downstairs neighbor. The people on my left and right (including the apartment manager!) don't say a word.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Same experience here! The whisper room I bought is the best gear purchase I’ve made also. I was lucky to get my 4x6 model used for $2000. Totally worth it.

I have a 4'X6' WhisperRoom. I realize that they are expensive (and incredibly impractical for a one bedroom NYC apartment), but for me it has been a godsend.

I got mine about 4 years ago when I was living in a two-bedroom apartment. Until then, I had been practicing soprano only, during daylight hours, into the clothes in our closet. After about two years of this, I broke down and bought the WhisperRoom. It was a major decision for me and wound up costing about $4000, but it was a life-changer. After getting the WhisperRoom, I could practice tenor again regularly, at full volume, and at any time of the day or night.

I've since moved out of the apartment and into a small house, where I have other spaces to practice when the WhisperRoom feels cramped, but I still spend probably 90% of my practice time in the WhisperRoom. I leave my instruments set up in it and can practice whenever the feeling hits, including in the middle of the night, without any worry of imposing on my wife or neighbors.

For me, it's easily dollar-for-dollar the best music-related purchase I've ever made, and has definitely done much more to improve my playing than any equivalent investment in horns or mouthpieces could have.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Do I understand this correctly, that is actually a standing screen and not an enclosed booth?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sad thing is if I could afford a Whisper Room I wouldn't need one because I could just rent a house and not have to deal with the apartment at all.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts