Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm 33 years old, I'm an amateur musician. At the moment I can not practice saxophone with sound ... but I'm pretty good at playing the guitar. And he came up with the following practice routine:
1.Read notes (for a saxophone) from a sheet with a guitar and sing them with articulation. (Jazz etudes mainly).
2. Learn jazz standards with a guitar (melody and harmony).
3. Play scales and arpeggios on the saxophone in the "silent practice" mode.
4. Transcribe saxophone solos (with the help of a guitar).
Could this practice be useful? Considering that I hope to return to full-fledged practice after a while (maybe in a year ...)

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,951 Posts
Could this practice be useful? Considering that I hope to return to full-fledged practice after a while (maybe in a year ...)
Mainly it will be useful for your guitar playing.

But understanding articulation, sight reading, learning tunes and harmony, transcribing are all useful for general music education.

For playing the saxophone, the best way to get better is to practise the saxophone. How about getting one of those E-sax mute things that silences the saxophone?

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
How will you build your saxophone chops if you don't play the saxophone? Sounds like your guitar chops will be better. So, what's your question regarding saxophone?

·
28,951 Posts
A wind synth such as the Aerophone will help abit towards fingereing, but not really very close to being a substitute for the real thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It just seems to me that it will be better than nothing. and I hope to "absorb" a bit of jazz material. about sax-mute and Roland aerophone too I think. but I do not know how useful these devices are. especially since they are quite expensive.

·
28,951 Posts
It just seems to me that it will be better than nothing. and I hope to "absorb" a bit of jazz material. about sax-mute and Roland aerophone too I think. but I do not know how useful these devices are. especially since they are quite expensive.
Well, the e-sax is more useful than the aerophone. Yes, as mentioned, learning about music in general is good of course, certainly better than nothing if you intend to take up the saxophone in the future.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,960 Posts
I play guitar and saxophones - have for many years.

Practicing the guitar, in my experience, has little influence on playing the saxophone. Practicing, as you have outlined, will make you a better musician, but do little to improve your saxophone playing.

Reading saxophone lines on guitar may make your phrases more musical, because you may start listening for where breaths more naturally occur, but that is another matter.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,134 Posts
As someone who plays both instruments, I think your plan is a good one. Especially learning to sing sax solos with articulation. This will help you learn the language of jazz.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I play guitar and saxophones - have for many years.

Practicing the guitar, in my experience, has little influence on playing the saxophone. Practicing, as you have outlined, will make you a better musician, but do little to improve your saxophone playing.

Reading saxophone lines on guitar may make your phrases more musical, because you may start listening for where breaths more naturally occur, but that is another matter.
When I was playing a ton of guitar and very little sax, I think it actually made my sax playing suffer a bit. I started to hear things more in relation to C instead of Bb, or Eb in a lesser degree. I know for a lot of people it probably wouldn't matter, but it did for me.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
+1 to all the responses above. One thing I'd add, that I think is extremely important, is the fact that a major part of 'mastering' the sax has to do with embouchure, air stream control, tone quality, intonation (a sax doesn't automatically play in tune), and articulation on a wind instrument. None of that will be addressed by practicing your guitar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts