Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://youtu.be/1nc2yn0kJ2w

Heres where you can practice with me. Tones not perfect, I make mistakes. So what? We are practicing and it gets better the more focused time you can spend doing it > K comments welcome if you have ideas on how to do it better. (aside from a few years more practice on my part ) K

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Coltrane uses enclosures extensively in his solo which makes it much more interesting than just using minor scales and arpeggios. I would touch on that and talk about Joseph Viola's Technique of the Saxophone which covers that method in great detail.

I would also talk about the altered scale that can be used on the V7 of the minor blues.

Simple tune, but huge subject.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All those things are great for other practice sessions. I can think of 20 other topics for Mr PC or any song. But its a start for someone with no teacher or no idea where to start to work on a song. But thanks for watching. I'll do more high end practice vids as time goes on. For now my intent is to get people to 1/ understand the harmonic form as well as the melody of a song. 2/have a systematic way to practice where you can see improvement 3/be able to segment and really work on one area rather than just blow through the tune 20 times and hope its getting better. 4/ I focus alot, alot, alot on chord tones first and foremost. Unresolved tensions are the hallmark in my opinion of early/beginning soloists. But this video is what worked and works for me. I can still invent new patterns using the simple constraints in this system and thats key. You are never done with depth K

1 - 3 of 3 Posts