Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own the Tenor, Alto and Soprano saxes. I started on alto and moved to tenor sometime ago but I've always had only one sax at any one time.

I've now come to realize that each sax has a voice of its own and I love them all. Is there a formula or routine for successfully maintaining 3 saxes at a time?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,160 Posts
lots of hours in the shed is really the only way to maintain it. Soprano is the hardest if you really want to be a soprano player. Most people I know have their preferred horn that most of their playing and practicing is done on, then try to give at least an hour each week to the other horns to maintain their embouchure. Switch up when you get called for a gig.
I am primarily a pit musician, so I have to maintain piccolo, flute, clarinet, bass clarinet, SATB saxes, and should be doing more on bassoon. I normally only practice flute, clarinet, alto sax at home. I play in a wind ensemble once a week for a 3 hour rehearsal on bari which keeps it up, and depending on when gigs get called, I'll pick the others up, just don't have time for everything and I believe one solid practice session on one horn is better than a jumbled mess of all of them.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
It's tough to give any practical advice without knowing how much you practice, i.e., how many days per week, and how many minutes/hours per day. Also, do you practice with scheduled public performances in mind, or do you just play at home for personal enjoyment and improvement?

I'm an amateur who plays alto, tenor, soprano, and clarinet. Alto sax is my main horn, so it gets most of my regular practice time. If I'm playing one of the other saxophones at an upcoming concert (symphonic band and/or sax quartet/quintet/sextet), I'll play it/them regularly as well. Sometimes this means playing two horns per practice session. I seldom do all three, because the work gets spread too thin. If I'm not currently preparing any tenor or soprano concert material, I'll try to play both horns around once a week anyway. I agree with tbone1004 that it's harder to maintain a good feel on the sop.

Generally, I perform on clarinet at only one concert each year. I'll play a lot of clarinet in the month or so before that gig, and during the rest of the year I'll pick up the instrument very occasionally.

I suggest not setting a goal of being equally good on all three saxophones. That's probably a recipe for overall mediocrity, unless you have enormous amounts of practice time available. Try to excel on your main horn and then be as good on the others as your remaining time permits.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,387 Posts
I"d go sop, alto, tenor in order if I had to keep them all up. I'd do long tones for intonation on soprano, I'd do all my reading work and tech stuff on alto, and then I'd just play the tenor everyday to keep up the ability to do that with good tone. But this all depends on what you want. If you aren't playing in a band or written music do whatever. ?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I currently own the Tenor, Alto and Soprano saxes. I started on alto and moved to tenor sometime ago but I've always had only one sax at any one time.

I've now come to realize that each sax has a voice of its own and I love them all. Is there a formula or routine for successfully maintaining 3 saxes at a time?
Very nice to hear you love all three horns! I feel the same way. Speaking for myself, I like to play a specific horn for at least three hours. After an hour rest I come back to finish with it for a couple of songs and move on to the second horn for at least an hour before ending my day. Next day I usually rotate horns with same formula! I don't find it helpful to try all three in one day! Hope this helps you as much as it helps me! :)

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Very nice to hear you love all three horns! I feel the same way. Speaking for myself, I like to play a specific horn for at least three hours. After an hour rest I come back to finish with it for a couple of songs and move on to the second horn for at least an hour before ending my day. Next day I usually rotate horns with same formula!
So you routinely practice at least four hours a day? Cool. Do you have a day job? Or are you a full-time music student or pro? What about a spouse and/or family?

I'm not taking issue with your personal formula for success, but merely repeating what I said in my initial post above: There is no one-size-fits-all solution to the OP's multihorn challenge. A player's lifestyle will determine what is feasible. Many people probably will find that it's not possible to practice four hours a day even if they want to keep up on three saxophones.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should have mentioned that I'm retired from my 9 - 5, I've played sax and flute for 45 years and I'm hoping to get myself in shape to gig again after a twenty five year hiatus.
Thank you for all of of your advice/suggestions. As a result, I'm now practicing one hour on flute and then one hour between tenor and alto saxes later on. At 71 plus, three saxes
at one session is tiresome and counterproductive. I'll provide an update after a few months on this schedule.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
I should have mentioned that I'm retired from my 9 - 5, I've played sax and flute for 45 years and I'm hoping to get myself in shape to gig again after a twenty five year hiatus.
Thank you for all of of your advice/suggestions. As a result, I'm now practicing one hour on flute and then one hour between tenor and alto saxes later on. At 71 plus, three saxes
at one session is tiresome and counterproductive. I'll provide an update after a few months on this schedule.
Do you plan to gig all saxes+flute?

If so, don’t just play one instrument for hours. Incorporate switching instruments so you are flexible in switching embouchure and concept as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts