Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all [rolleyes]
i've been wondering if i should practice in a sit position or a stand up position does that make a difference ? who practices most sit and who practices in a stand up position ? :|

·
Registered
260 Posts
I usually play standing up.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think I subconsciously do Scales and Technical etudes sitting down. And solos and jazz work standing up.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I always stand, sitting with a sax (especially baritone) feels kind of awkward to me, also, I feel my breathing efficiency and breath support suffers from it. But I think it's a matter of getting used to it. Maybe sitting on a bar stool instead of a chair would be more natural. :mrgreen:

I also always play guitar and keyboards standing up (except a piano of course), so i'm kind of used to it.

I think it's best to practice the way you perform (or intend to), so it'll become natural. Of course if you need to play both ways, then you should practice both.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
790 Posts
I sit until I'm tired of sitting, then stand until I'm tired of standing...might even walk around a little.

Randy
www.randyhunterjazz.com
Online Jazz Lessons and Books
New Lesson:
Making Sense of Jazz Improvisation
Lesson Series:
Introduction to the Blues
The Arpeggio Circle
Through the Keys
and more...
Lessons page: www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm
Rhythm Changes Demo:
Rhythm Changes Lesson:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Goldy,

The importance of developing and maintaining good posture in both seated and standing positions should not be underestimated. It is a part of a consistently good tone.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Goldy,

The importance of developing and maintaining good posture in both seated and standing positions should not be underestimated. It is a part of a consistently good tone.
yeah you're right i think i might need to practice with both position ^^

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,833 Posts
Either really,it depends on comfort of course,soprano i prefer to play sitting, its just convienient,the bari on the other hand standing makes more sense.
I guess all in all as most gigs i do are standing , except for big band work with the bari, where we are seated, but as a rule the larger the instrument i find its better to stand.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
I was taught to practice the way you are going to perform. If you are working on a solo, practice while standing. If you are working on a part to play in an ensemble, then practice while seated.

When playing seated it is important to remember to sit up straight and to bring the sax to you---don't you go to the sax because that encourages poor posture.

·
Registered
386 Posts
More standing myself but really both ways. Just be comfortable I think. And keep your posture and breathing aligned properly whether standing or seated.

:glasses7:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Like Randy, I sit until I need a break from sitting, then stand until I need a break from standing. I tend to sit more because I'm old... I do think it's important to do both. Also, practice what you will do most. If your performances require you to stand, stand more and if your performances require you to sit, sit more. However, do practice both standing and seated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.