Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
practice organization for those serious about improving

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUSTON NONET
remember TITS R US
T-TONE-- LONG TONES OVERTONES WITHOUT A GOOD TONE NO ONE WANTS TO LISTEN

I- INTONATION-- ABSOLUTE FUNDAMENTAL- PLAY WITH CD TUNER WITH YOUR OVERTONES AND LONG TONES

T-TECHNIQUE- SCALES ETC --SLOW AND WITH A METRONOME. IF YOU CAN'T PLAY YOUR HORN YOU CAN'T IMPROVISE

S SWING-- DON'T MEAN A THING WITHOUT IT-- DAVE LEIBMANS DVD ON TIME HAS GOOD EXERCISES GET THE CD METRONOMES CDS--FUN

R- READING-- PRACTICE SIGHT READING EVERYDAY-- TRANSCRIPTION BOOKS ARE GREAT

U -UNDERSTANDING-- THEORY STUDY, PLAY PIANO STUDY PROGRESSIONS ETC

S- STYLE-- STUDY AND EMULATE THE STYLES OF YOUR FAVORITE PLAYERS-- NOTICE PLURAL-PLAYERS. EVENTUALLY YOU WILL INCORPORATE ALL THE STYLES IN YOUR SUBCONSCIOUS AND --WALA-- YOU WILL HAVE YOUR OWN STYLE
REMEMBER IF YOU DON'T ENJOY PRACTICING PLAY GOLF

after a short 20 year break from music i needed to start all over-- this help me in the limited time i had to practice at this stage in life.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Good to post something like this, Frank. Nice summary.
(BTW, I think we were at North Texas at the same time, but traveling in different circles.)

For those wanting a more detailed look at organising your practice as a jazz player, Jerry Coker has a nice little handbook, "How to Practice Jazz".
Also, Tim has a list of things you must know posted somewhere here.

·
Banned
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you have a female student use ITTS R US
practice exercises for tone and intonation are similar but the other is easier to remember

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
I rather like this and i very much like the acronym. The priorities seem pretty good too, without thinking about it in any huge detail. I do agree that some kind of "practice plan" is important. I'm a terribly undisciplined practiser and it;s something i need to improve on. It seems to me that what militates against these kind of plans is the following:
1. Lack of time.
2. Boredom.
3. The feeling of being overwhelmed.
These factors are all related.
Nevertheless, i'm going to have a good think about the ideas here. The only things I think i might put more stress on are listening and ear training and rhythm training although i know they're already in there by implication.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts