Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for kicks I tried this last night. Dark room no distractions. Managed to play 1-9 in dorian minor around the circle of fifths, not been able to do that before. Might try it again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
I'm surprised no one has chimed in yet. There's a lot to be gained by adopting this method where appropriate. You focus better. You hear better. You get into the relaxed learning zone much easier. Most of us subconsciously try to reap these same benefits by closing our eyes when we play.

You also save on electricity.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,364 Posts
Yup- totally with you, works wonders for focus...

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2017
424 Posts
I find that sometimes when I almost zone out I play my scales better, less distractions, but also I am not over thinking.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's interesting, in a world where we are basically overstimulated in all senses.... It really helped more than I expected. In a dark room all that matters is what's coming out of the horn... good or bad

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,008 Posts
I love playing in the dark. And, as an aside, my favorite gigs are in darker venues (to use a euphemism for bar or pub). Curiously, it's a similar effect when playing on a lit stage with the audience in the dark; you can't see much in that situation either, so it's fine. The worst is playing in a brightly lit room. That's just not the right environment for music, imo.

But yeah, I think you can focus better without a lot of visual stimulation, with the notable exception of beautiful women on the dance floor! Even when the lights are on, for the most part I tend to 'look' down with my eyes out of focus when I play (with the occasional glance up to check for the notable exception just mentioned), so my eyes might as well be closed. Works for me, anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts