Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble identifying a PPT Baritone piece.
I bought it as a Signature model but it seems to have a longer possibly higher baffle than I thought it would.
I have read that PPT stamped on the side is a Power model and if stamped on top it is a Signature model.
But have also heard from others that the Signature model measures 14.5 cm overall and the Power is 13.5 Cm.
Mine measures 14.5cm and has PPT on side, also it is off white, cream in colour.
It is an 8* according to marking on table.
Which do I have here?
Thanks.
P.s. plays well either way.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The signature does indeed have the logo diagonally on the top. It is a copy of an original Slant that was the only useful mouthpiece I found that was in tune on a 12m.

Length can vary
Does the signature have the PPT logo diagonally on top or an Otto Link logo?
The picture of a signature on the TTS website has the PPT logo on the side.

·
8,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is where my confusion partly comes from.
That and where it says that the original Signature is now what is called the Power.
And there’s a Hooligan in there somewhere too.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,100 Posts
Thanks Pete.
So mine is a Power model?
Yes, if it has the logo on the side.

Yes, but this is a prototype of the new black HD model, the production models will have it on the top as with the Onyxite. My fault I hadn't even noticed that I'll see if I can change the photo.

This is where my confusion partly comes from.
That and where it says that the original Signature is now what is called the Power.
Now I'm confused!

The original model was just PPT baritone (no Signature or Power denomination) with the slightly higher baffle.

The Signature came out later and has a lower baffle (like the original Slant it was modelled from)

So at that time I rebranded the original med/high baffle as Power

I'm not sure where it says the original Signature, that is wrong. If you can locate where it says that I will correct it.

And there’s a Hooligan in there somewhere too.
Temporarily I toyed with rebranding the Power as Hooligan, but it went back to Power so now "Hooligan" is kind of a nickname. It didn't seem right as 8* is not really a Hooliganish facing (unlike the tenor Hooligan 11)

·
8,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, if it has the logo on the side.

Yes, but this is a prototype of the new black HD model, the production models will have it on the top as with the Onyxite. My fault I hadn't even noticed that I'll see if I can change the photo.

Now I'm confused!

The original model was just PPT baritone (no Signature or Power denomination) with the slightly higher baffle.

The Signature came out later and has a lower baffle (like the original Slant it was modelled from)

So at that time I rebranded the original med/high baffle as Power

I'm not sure where it says the original Signature, that is wrong. If you can locate where it says that I will correct it.

Temporarily I toyed with rebranding the Power as Hooligan, but it went back to Power so now "Hooligan" is kind of a nickname. It didn't seem right as 8* is not really a Hooliganish facing (unlike the tenor Hooligan 11)
Sorry, you are correct it doesn’t say the original Signature is rebranded, just the original PPT.

·
30,100 Posts
I've changed it on the site.

I had to fire the entire marketing department on account of this error, hopefully we will do better in the future.

Sorry, you are correct it doesn’t say the original Signature is rebranded, just the original PPT.
Aha, I'm not going mad then.

Just to clarify

Original PPT medium baffle rebranded as Power (ideally 8* or larger)

Signature = low baffle - clone of the best Otto Link Slant 7 available. Evar.

(Well not a "clone" because the material is different/better)

·
30,100 Posts
What are you going to do with all your free time now that you are fired?
I'm still the CEO, and currently have to deal with being sued by the entire marketing department for wrongful dismissal.

Whoever said producing mouthpieces was easy?

Probably Abraham Lincoln or Mark Twain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts