Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 3+ years of solely playing tenor I decided to purchase a baritone as a secondary horn (although there's a sneaking suspicion it may become primary :giggle:). Based on the recommendation of a friend here on SOTW, and the excellent prices on Mighty Quinn's site, I pulled the trigger on the BS4240AQ.

I wanted to provide my amateur assessment because there were some moderate issues to note. I'll start by saying I had my SOTW friend play it and later had my repair guy check it for leaks (and the other issue, I'll get to shortly).

The immediate adjustment was seating the low A, which SOTW friend helped with. Then repair guy found a lot of other leaks throughout the horn. I also asked him to loosen the table action, and now it's playing significantly better after the leaks and action were adjusted.

As a side note the Antigua case, while quite sturdy, has a fair amount of vertical wiggle room. When the horn sits in the case, you can slide it up and down (at least 3/4" distance). I temporarily have a cork wedged in, above the neck cap, to prevent any movement. This could also have contributed to the leaks.

The two moderate issues I had were related to the rolling movement between the low Eb and C spatula, as well as the low C# and B left hand table. When going from one of the former keys to the other, they didn't line up well at all. For example, I'd have to let up on the Eb key in order to get to the C roller and comfortably slide my pinky to the C spatula. A similar misalignment was going on with the C# and B.

Both of these were worked on and the transition is much better, thankfully. I was quite bothered that these two issues even existed on a so-called professional level horn.

As mentioned in another thread, the Antigua mouthpiece it came with needed refacing and it plays almost completely different. The ligature was also not great--it was almost too big for the circumference. Tightening the bottom screw of the lig all the way almost didn't hold the lower part of the reed. Needless to say, I got a different ligature. Even finding one that fit was a chore. I tried several different brands at my local shop (Lee's Sax Worx) and the only one that worked best was a cloth-style Rovner (with plates).

Finally, the intonation on the side F/F# is sharp, whereas fork F/F# are in tune. The repairman thought fixing the leaks would resolve this issue, so I'm still not sure if this is about me or the horn.

All in all, I'm now quite pleased with the horn. It may not seem like it after my litany of notes, but I truly am happy to begin my baritone journey!

·
Registered
Antigua Powerbell tenor-Otto Link NY ,Vito Alto -Gigliotti Spectrum, Antigua sop- Morgan 4
427 Posts
Love my powerbell tenor. Mine came without a plug in top end, the octave rod has some angle to it so not sure if it got bent or was supposed to be like that. My B and Bb had leaks but that was an easy fix. I think buying mail order you have to expect it got tossed around pretty hard. Beautiful horn for the money, hope you like yours.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...Beautiful horn for the money, hope you like yours.
I love it!
Buying a horn without first trying it broke my sax teacher's cardinal rule. I knew I was taking a gamble and that it would likely have issues getting shipped, even from the relatively close distance of Seattle to SF. To be honest, buyer's remorse started creeping in with those key alignment issues. Thankfully, after getting it worked on & adjusted, I have zero regrets.

(BTW, I dig your Rat Fink avatar, @SaxNutz 🤘)

·
Registered
Antigua Powerbell tenor-Otto Link NY ,Vito Alto -Gigliotti Spectrum, Antigua sop- Morgan 4
427 Posts
Yes, love the Fink! My step daughter painted that on my diy Fx pedal the "Fink-O-Vibe".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts