Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,121 Posts
He’s seems to be more naturally an alto player. His sound always seems “muffled” on tenor.
Couldn't agree more; real stuffy. Then there is his abysmal technical skills and don't even get me started on his compositions.

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
...what? Have you heard him in person, up close, ever? His sound is MASSIVE and open.
I’ve heard him live. Big sound without the clarity I like. Massive doesn’t mean good.
Don’t get me wrong, he’s an incredible sax player I don’t listen to.
I don’t have to like everybody even if they are great players.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,211 Posts
I’ve heard him live. Big sound without the clarity I like. Massive doesn’t mean good.
Don’t get me wrong, he’s an incredible sax player I don’t listen to.
I don’t have to like everybody even if they are great players.
I’m definitely not saying you have to like him, I’m just saying the times I’ve listenend to him up close his sound was absolutely laserbeam clean, precise, and clear.

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
I’m definitely not saying you have to like him, I’m just saying the times I’ve listenend to him up close his sound was absolutely laserbeam clean, precise, and clear.
I didn’t hear it that way at all. It shows how we all hear differently. It seemed forced and on the blatty side for my tastes.
Some people just have better sounds on alto than they do on tenor.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HELL yes. One of my favorite alto players ever. I love his tenor playing, obviously, but it's one of the rare cases where I might like his alto playing more.

How about this track with the Dave Holland Quintet.
That album, the quintet really, was a favorite of mine for a long time. Thanks for mentioning it! I like his tenor and soprano a lot, but really like his alto and tend to seek it out. Wish he would play it more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts