Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm just being daft, but I don't believe I've ever seen Chris Potter play an old ToneMaster:

Plenty of shots to see it. Am I mistaken, or has he played on one before?

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Not sure when he switched but he was using it 6 months ago when I saw him last too.

He was also using his SBA because his VI was getting an overhaul.

I am pretty sure he got his VI back and is playing it again, but I don't know if he switched pieces when he went back to the VI or not.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
Maybe I'm just being daft, but I don't believe I've ever seen Chris Potter play an old ToneMaster:

Never seen him on one either yet ..somehow.. all the essential Potter stuff is still there . I'm shocked . Ok,, not really lol !

Haven't seen this vid yet - thanks for posting it .

·
4,680 Posts
I think he's been on the Tone Master a long time. See this documentory from a few years ago:
In the documentory he seems to using the Tone Master on his Mark VI and an STM on his SBA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VxMX2LuEW0

I think I've seen parts of this before but hadn't paid attention to the horn n' mpc combos . Thanks for the post .

He must've always been looking for a certain tonal balance by using the TM w/ that VI and STM w/ that particular SBA.
That's my best guess .

·
Registered
76 Posts
Chris was certainly playing a MK VI at the Village Vanguard the other week (with Antonio Sanchez) and a metal Link, but I didnt pay attention to which kind of Link. It wouldnt matter cos he always sounds like himself regardless of equipment as we know.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
This video clearly shows Chris on a Mark 6 and a Florida STM. If I'm not mistaken, the ligature is my favourite Link STM ligature, the one that came with the early 50s Double Rings NY. It has that fat yet small screw with the vertical lines. I have an original Tonemaster ligature with "Otto Link" on the screw as well, but that one is too big for an STM.
Anyway, a matrix of a fine SBA and Mark 6 together with a working Tonemaster and a nice Florida Link offers a broad and satisfying range of tone colours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=355&v=HrzSuEMtP24

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
This video clearly shows Chris on a Mark 6 and a Florida STM. If I'm not mistaken, the ligature is my favourite Link STM ligature, the one that came with the early 50s Double Rings NY. It has that fat yet small screw with the vertical lines. I have an original Tonemaster ligature with "Otto Link" on the screw as well, but that one is too big for an STM.
Anyway, a matrix of a fine SBA and Mark 6 together with a working Tonemaster and a nice Florida Link offers a broad and satisfying range of tone colours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=355&v=HrzSuEMtP24
Throw in a good Tone Edge and an old Soloist and you have it all covered.

·
Registered
175 Posts

Thanks for sharing this. The sound is very thick and full with that buzz on top. I,m full, can't eat desert.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,397 Posts
Sign on the backstage wall in the potter video '2 drink minimum per set'. :) Oh, maybe they mean the customers. :(

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Not sure when he switched but he was using it 6 months ago when I saw him last too.

He was also using his SBA because his VI was getting an overhaul.

I am pretty sure he got his VI back and is playing it again, but I don't know if he switched pieces when he went back to the VI or not.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Do you know who overhauled his horn? I'm curious.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Don't know why the surprise and disbelief that he is playing a Tonemaster. Large chamber low baffle mouthpieces can do anything a smaller higher one can, you just have to work harder at it. I play mine on jazz gigs, funk, whatever. Listen to early Grossman and Liebman with Elvin Live at the Lighthouse, for example. They were playing large chamber early Links, maybe even 4 star models with facility, and that bottom end was scary. Also, I find, for me, with the Tonemaster, I can play altissimo and palm key notes with full power and not having to be cautious regarding edge and harshness.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't know why the surprise and disbelief that he is playing a Tonemaster. Large chamber low baffle mouthpieces can do anything a smaller higher one can, you just have to work harder at it. I play mine on jazz gigs, funk, whatever. Listen to early Grossman and Liebman with Elvin Live at the Lighthouse, for example. They were playing large chamber early Links, maybe even 4 star models with facility, and that bottom end was scary. Also, I find, for me, with the Tonemaster, I can play altissimo and palm key notes with full power and not having to be cautious regarding edge and harshness.
I'm not in disbelief at all. Just pointed out that I had never seen him play on one. I used to play on one for 20+ yrs. Don't play it any more, but still have it.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I'm not in disbelief at all. Just pointed out that I had never seen him play on one. I used to play on one for 20+ yrs. Don't play it any more, but still have it.
Yeah sorry if my reply sounded like an accusation. I'm just surprised more people do not appreciate a good Tonemaster. They sell for much less than a vintage STM and have a lot of character.

·
4,680 Posts
Yeah sorry if my reply sounded like an accusation. I'm just surprised more people do not appreciate a good Tonemaster. They sell for much less than a vintage STM and have a lot of character.
I said I was shocked that all the essential Chris Potter stuff was still intact, then said "not really".
In other words.. I was kidding. :bluewink:

Chris transcends his equipment. Tonemaster, 'Super' Tonemaster, Tone Edge.. doesn't matter -- he's gonna get it done.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I said I was shocked that all the essential Chris Potter stuff was still intact, then said "not really".
In other words.. I was kidding. :bluewink:

Chris transcends his equipment. Tonemaster, 'Super' Tonemaster, Tone Edge.. doesn't matter -- he's gonna get it done.
Werd....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts