Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to hear the results people get in the studio with these mics. I also wouldn't mind hearing clips of the GLS Audio ES-58 or ES-57 (Shure clones) if available.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I wouldn't use a very long mic cable;)

Check out any of my recordings for the TOTM. They all are done with an SM 57.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Thanks for your response. Why wouldn't you use a long mic cable? How long is too long? Are you using an audio interface or a XLR-to-3.5mm cable like the one pictured above?
I'm using an audio interface. The mic pres on computers stink almost as much as the headphone outs. The noise is unacceptable. I rather imagine that you would not want a long mic cable with the 3.5 mm plug because it's probably unbalanced (tip-ring). The longer the cable, the more noise an unbalanced cable picks up.

Interfaces just aren't that expensive anymore. They're less than soundcards used to be.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check out any of my recordings for the TOTM. They all are done with an SM 57.
Perhaps you could let me know which months you've participated in TOTM. I paged through the last two months and didn't find a submission from you. What's your opinion on the SM58?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Thanks. So if a cable like this (below) is used with, say, a SM58, does the sound card receive a stereo signal with identical L and R signals? Or does it just receive a mono signal?

No, one mic can't make a stereo signal. Don't think right/left, think input. Identical r-l signals=mono.

Truthfully, it depends on your software. You can pan it wherever you need it in the stereo field.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks for your response. Why wouldn't you use a long mic cable? How long is too long? Are you using an audio interface or a XLR-to-3.5mm cable like the one pictured above?

It's a matter of balanced vs unbalanced cables. Balanced cables are generally much more immune to the type noise associated with long cables. What's "Too long" will depend on your electrical environment and how much noise floor you're willing to tolerate. If you're using the 3.5mm cable, and you're happy with what you record, it's not too long!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's a review of the GLS ES-58. Not particularly glowing.

Note, based on listening to clips of others using this microphone, I think the aforementioned reviewer is "a bit off."

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,504 Posts
Here's a review of the GLS ES-58. Not particularly glowing.

Note, based on listening to clips of others using this microphone, I think the aforementioned reviewer is "a bit off."
A bit high is more like it. :twisted:

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Note: I'm using the Mackie 1220 analog mixer with the 'firewire' card interface installed.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Hak why are you not using a virtual mixer in pro logic or in garage band?

B
The firewire card is integral (installed in) to the analog mixer. It's just a digital out. The only thing from the analog section of the mixer used is the mic pre. It then goes into Logic, where the backing tracks are recorded. Then I mix and add some 'verb, and export to mp3.

The interface (which was one of the first ones out that was affordable) was originally made to export a digital 'board mix' from live gigs/sessions taken right after the mic pre.

Truthfully, I'm about to 'retire' it. The left playback monitor from the card has been reduced in level. I think it's a leaky cap or op amp, but I haven't the time or the inclination to troubleshoot it. I've instead invested in a focusrite sapphire pro40 interface that has eight mic ins. It should be here in a few days. I'll be able to do drums finally! :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts