Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
Modern & Historical / Charles Chedeville CC1 Alto MPC and Theo Wanne Ambika Soprano MPC
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a few here have a love and liking for early saxophones and it would be fun to gather recordings / videos here.
Here´s my first one as a start...
This is a recording made at the Bavarian Radio Station with the Ensemble of Bassist and composer www.evakruse.com from this october. The particular sonority of the Adolphe Sax Alto blends very well in this context with oboe and despite its mechanical limitations, which I still have to master much better, it offers a very reliable fluid ergonomic feel even when improvising jazz. I use a large chamber vintage mouthpiece with a .082 tip and Vandoren Classic 2.0 reeds. The composition is called "Lifesaving day" by Eva Kruse.

My impression is that the early saxophones (before 1900) have been largely overlooked for perfomances of contemporary music - but they offer simply different constraints and potentials and for me, act as a reminder of the lyrical quality of the saxophone as it was celebrated in its time of creation and as it is often overlooked in my opinion in contemporary music of today. - Hence this post!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Sehr sehr schön, Uwe!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Uwe, could you please add the sopranino link? very interested!

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,089 Posts
Just wonder-soul-ful.
Amazing how good and modern he sounds on this old alto.

All very good, even and rich sounding (except the palm-keys just after 1:18, but that could be a mouthpiece issue with this horn).

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,214 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know a few here have a love and liking for early saxophones and it would be fun to gather recordings / videos here.
Here´s my first one as a start...
This is a recording made at the Bavarian Radio Station with the Ensemble of Bassist and composer www.evakruse.com from this october. The particular sonority of the Adolphe Sax Alto blends very well in this context with oboe and despite its mechanical limitations, which I still have to master much better, it offers a very reliable fluid ergonomic feel even when improvising jazz. I use a large chamber vintage mouthpiece with a .082 tip and Vandoren Classic 2.0 reeds. The composition is called "Lifesaving day" by Eva Kruse.

My impression is that the early saxophones (before 1900) have been largely overlooked for perfomances of contemporary music - but they offer simply different constraints and potentials and for me, act as a reminder of the lyrical quality of the saxophone as it was celebrated in its time of creation and as it is often overlooked in my opinion in contemporary music of today. - Hence this post!
Very interesting sound.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Excellent! It’s great to hear and see this. Many I would’ve never guessed were pre-1900. Regardless of time, a sax sounds like a sax!

In the first video, not sure how you were able to get Elton John for the piano, but congrats.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts